Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica macro port lens replacement - help please!

Started by clairegoodwin ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica macro port lens replacement - help please!

6 posts
  1. Does anyone have instructions for how to replace the lens on the aquatica tapered macro port (port number 18430 – the tapered mini macro one)? 

    I am on a trip and it somehow popped out in transit. I didn't even realise it was removable! I can't get hold of aquatica or find instructions online. 

    Thanks, 

    Claire

  2. I tried finding instructions and there is nothing out there I could find, closest I could find was this:  http://cerella.fi/?product=aquatica-18583-replacement-lens-for-flat-macro-port

     

    which states that the replacement glass includes installation instructions and you would need to pressure test after installation - dive it empty or vacuum check.  Maybe you could contact a dealer like this asking for guidance on how to?

  3. Thanks for looking. Yes it looks like there are instructions if you buy glass. Hope aquatica get back to me today as we won't have internet after tomorrow.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  4. Hey Claire

    What a bummer.

    Some years ago when I was running a resort in the Lembeh Straits, I needed to replace the front glass of a macro port. Luckily for me, one of the wizard techs from Reef Photo was staying at the resort and with a couple of very simple tools, he removed and replaced the glass inside 10 minutes. (I had bought a spare).

    It wasn't a complex task - installing an o-ring and then prising the lens into place. We had not means for pressure testing it but certainly did the first dive with no camera in the housing.

    Maybe an outside thought, but it could be worth flipping an email to Reef Photo - who are really helpful - and asking if they can give you a  bit of guidance?

    Good luck with it. I really hope you can get it sorted.

  5. Just wanted to let people know I got this sorted. Actually wide angle ended up working better for this trip anyway (thankfully!). I got hold of aquatica after the trip. The lens pushes straight down onto the port ledge (basically as far in as it goes). It only seals on the front o-ring really. Just taken housing for a test dive and seems good (although forgot how floaty empty housing is so judicious use of rocks required to make it comfortable to carry!). Thanks to everyone who advised.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  6. Glad it worked out, nice you you got back to the post to let us know how it worked out.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.