Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Sea & Sea MX511 versus Canon powershot S50

Started by pammyandeddie ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea MX511 versus Canon powershot S50

4 posts
  1. Sea & Sea MX511 versus Canon powershot S50

    I am new to this forum, hope someone can help. I have both of the above cameras, we use the sea and sea for snorkelling. (we dont dive) We were considering purchasing a housing for the canon, but not sure if we will get better photos because we only use auto mode, and I have been told in low light the canon is not good. I dont understand white balance etc so would I be wasting my time or is it easy to learn. We are getting fed up with the amount of film we waste hence the interest in the digital way. I see people use RAW mode, when I put the setting on this it appears that you get very few photos to a disc, currently have 32, 64 and 128 mg cards. Any one with some advice we would be very happy to listen.

    many thanks Pam [/color]

  2. The S50 is a great camera. It is "cheap" (in comparsion to other UW Setups) makes good fotos and it can "grow" with the user.

     

    You can start with the Camera and the housing and later buy a External Strobe (for instance an Ikelite DS-50 or DS-125 with a Manual or TTL Controller) when you feel that you need one to improve you pictures.

     

    I strongly advice to use RAW picturese since you can adust the White Balance (it is easy) and make you're pictures look more natural (it improved my pics almost as as much as the strobe) and you can adjust a slightly off exposure (only possible with Photoshop).

     

    For the Size: Get a 1Gig Microdrive. They are not so expensive anymore. Thats enough for 1-3 Dives (130+ Pics) (depending on how much you shoot).

     

    Until you have a strobe my tip: if you use the internal strobe get real close. otherwise dont use a strobe at all.

     

    I used the S50 until i got my D60 housed and still use it top side as a easy to carry camera.

  3. sorry I have been so long since I came back, my PC has been down, and I have only just got it back. I have tried taking some land pictures in camera raw and played around in photoshop cs, I can see there are lots of options especially with the white balance section. I am sure we will get a housing and get a 1 gig memory card, would you advice 2 cards of 512 in case one card fails, or just go for the 1 gig to start with.

    Can you say which is the best housing, got a little confussed from your reply which one is best for my camera, I would eventually like to add a wide screen lens and who knows perhaps a strobe in time, but got to take a step at a time

    Thanks for your help

    Pam and Eddie

  4. The Canon Housing is ok and inexpensive.

     

    For I WAL Lense: I never used one, but I think INON makes one that fits to the Housing.

     

    About the Cards: This depends on your needs: A 512 may be ok but it limits you to about 60-75 Shots without changing the card. This sounds a lot but can be few on some real intersting dives. You know best how many pictures you nomaly take.

     

    Simon

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.