Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D800 or D800E ?

Started by John Doe II ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 or D800E ?

5 posts
  1. I am currently shopping for a D800 or a D800E.

    At these resolutions underwater, does the D800E offer any advantage at all?

    The D800 is in general half the price of a D800E. Any reason to get the D800E over the D800?

  2. Hi 

    I had both they are both great cameras I found I was using the D800e more, you can see a slight difference  you can get very good 

    second hand body which is what I did with the D800e, what I would say is use good quality lens it does make a difference.

    Andy

      

  3. Hi Andy,

    Did you ever find anything underwater that caused moire ?

  4. I would not pay a premium for a D800e vs D800, especially for UW use.  The difference between the two is pretty subtle anyway and I've never noticed any appreciable benefits in years of looking at the photos.  Get the best condition D800 you can find and you'll be very happy. 

    I shot my D800 for over 6 years and finally moved to a D850 in early 2019.  I sold my housing but still use the D800 when the 850 is in the housing.  It's a great camera even today and takes photos of similar quality to the 850.  It just can't take as many photos as fast as the 850 due to a smaller, slower buffer.

  5. Thanks for the input Dave.

    There is quite a difference in price in used D800's Vs D800E's.

    I think I will do as you suggest and find a good low shutter count D800 - lots of them out on ebay.

    The real step up is as you say, to the D850. I will get a D850 when the rest of you are 3 generations ahead of the D850 ;-) ....housings are much cheaper that way.

    Edited by John Doe II — Typo
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.