Instead of spending over $400 on these nauticam trim weights: https://www.nauticam.com/products/0-5kg-trim-weights-for-16227-4-pcs I was wondering if anyone had a good alternative using 0.5lb to 2lb dive weights that were low profile and easy to mount utilizing some screws and washers. I may have to just go with Nauticam on this but it seems like a lot of $$ for some lead and screws.
Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Cheaper Camera Trim Weight Options/Ideas?
Started by conraddmb118 ·
- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Cheaper Camera Trim Weight Options/Ideas?
-
-
About a year and a half ago, I got a package of wheel balance weights on Amazon and glued about a pound's worth to the back of my dome - they come on sticky pads so nothing extra is needed. Not a single one has loosened so far, and 7 grams per weight allow for fine-tuning of buoyancy and trim.
-
thanks Barmaglot! Would you happen to have a link to those?
-
I think they are Tungsten. But they are clearly very proud of them.
Not knowing your housing...do you have any holes on the base plate to bolt anything to?
I will try to find a link to the weights.
K
-
tungsten.com sells to the public in small quantities. They advertise on Ebay. A 1.5 inch cube weighs 2.2 pounds. If you contact them they might be able to sort out your weight problem.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
K
-
Come in all shapes and quantities
https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Weights-0-25-Stick-Adhesive/dp/B016AY25PW
-
-
Here's an approach I've used to trim my Nauticam/GH4/lights combo, but a similar method could be applied to balance any rig that's unstable in water.
The buoyancy chamber is a length of 100mm dia PVC pipe with a screw on cap (o ring sealed) on one end, and a CCTV dome glued on the other - just for show really (Pic 1). There's a 'rail' made from strips of PVC glued to the bottom of the chamber (Pic 2) and this slides into the C adapter shown in Pic 3.
The length of the chamber is such that that the whole setup is slightly negative in seawater - that takes a bit of trial and error. The rig sits horizontal in mid water when the chamber is horizontal, but will point up or down as the chamber is rotated through the vertical axis. Also, the chamber can be slid back or forth to balance other lens/port combinations.
If extra stability is needed for tripod shots I let a little sea water into the chamber pre-dive to make the rig heavier. Having a removable back also allows it to be packed with fragile bits 'n pieces on trips.
The tricky part is the aluminium 'bridge' fitted to the handles, and a friend skilled in metalwork designed and made that for me. Lots of extras can be attached to it - monitor, computer, compass etc.
It's simple but beautifully balanced and works well.