Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Noob Photos

Started by Joe Weaver ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Noob Photos

2 posts
  1. Hello All!

    I'm not new to photography or diving, just putting them together.  I've managed to translate much of my dry land knowledge to the wet world, but I definitely need more practice.

    Any feedback and critique is welcome.

    WPR-0384.jpg

    WPR-0524.jpg

    WPR-2350.jpg

  2. Any feedback.  OK, what sort of camera, lens and port combo are you using?   The edges and corners are looking pretty poor in the first shot.  Looks a bit like wide angle through a flat port.  The white balance seems a bit off.

    In all three shots, colors look pretty subdued.  What ISO were you using?   If you aren't out of dynamic range, I suspect you can improve your post-processing skills.

    The second shot has that nice juxtaposition of diver and fish, but the diver pose is awkward, and I find the brightness on the face to be distracting.  At the same time the Trumpetfish is a bit dark and dull.  Sticking your logo on the first two is distracting as well.

    In the third shot, there is low contrast, low color and seems to lack a bit of detail.  Not sure if the ISO was high, or perhaps it was cropped a fair amount, but it just looks a bit off, or weak.

    Underwater photography can be a lot about post-processing.  I find myself shooting at the lowest ISO I can use in order to maximize my dynamic range.  I then pull down highlights aggressively as well as raise shadows.   I find myself taking an image with extremes in dynamic range and reducing that range to fit in my desired output format, usually web-based.  After pulling down highlights and/or lifting shadows (often simultaneously), I often have to introduce contrast back into the image.  And that blocks up a shadow or blows a highlight, so I interactively work on the edges of the histogram to try to tame those elements,   And white balance is often a challenge.

    It would really help to know more technical details of what lens, camera, port, extension, ISO, and post-processing steps you've tried.

    A similar shot for comparison:

    Compared to your last shot, this one shows more color in the sponges.   What post-processing did you do on your shot?

    http://www.cjcphoto.net/roatan2018/images/page254.html

    I've got a short web page I made for family and friends to give them some idea that the camera didn't take those shots, but rather post-processing 'made' them.  Before and after shots here: http://www.cjcphoto.net/beforeafter/index.html

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.