Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anglerfish v3.0 trigger issues

Started by ProfF ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Anglerfish v3.0 trigger issues

16 posts
  1. Hi

    I have a brand new Anglerfish trigger (4 dives total). After some training I learned how to reliably turn it on (took a while to get their system). 

    Today I returned to diving and the trigger wont fire. I know that I turned it on (funny blinking blue lights) but the optic bulkhead wont flash. I checked with two cables and then finally resorted to look at the led to see if it flashes. Aside from turning half blind with all the test strobes I could not get it to work.

    The product manual writes:

    "If the optical trigger does not trigger the remote strobe, remove the fiber optic cable from the unit and inspect the small high power LED inside the optical bulkhead. Operate the camera strobe serval times and see if the LED blinks while the camera strobe fires.

    If the LED does flash bright, the fault could be in the optical cable or the strobe settings. Make sure you follow the strobe manufacture’s settings for operating the remote strobe via optical cable. [goes on discussing cable troubleshooting]

    "

     

    The manual does not say what to do if the LED does NOT flash bright.... which is my situation. And again, the battery is ok and the trigger turn on/off sequences work as they should.

    Any ideas for further checks? (I don't have an electrical cable to test with)

    Thanks!

     

     

  2. What camera and optical trigger are you using, Nir?

  3. 2 hours ago, TimG said:

    What camera and optical trigger are you using, Nir?

    Not sure if the camera is relevant, but it is OM-D EM-1. The Trigger is Anglerfish v3.0 (as in the subject :-)

     

  4. First I can tell you that this triggers fires fine also with single core fiber cables that are 3 meters long that I bought off ebay with inon strobes and this issue with the cables on the manual in my case is non existent beside I do not even have multi core cables I discovered

    Are you 100% the device is on? Because when the trigger is on actually there is no light showing no blinks or anything 

    Also check both camera flash and strobe are in manual without pre-flash as it does not support it

  5. 18 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    Are you 100% the device is on? Because when the trigger is on actually there is no light showing no blinks or anything 

    Also check both camera flash and strobe are in manual without pre-flash as it does not support it

    1. When I do the ON sequence (first hit blink pink two blues, then two hits with pink light) the device starts having blinking blue light in a rythem of 1-1--------1-1----.... When I do the same sequence again it turns off (no light),. This was also the behavior previous times I used the device successfully :-/

    2. The camera and strobe are on manual mode (always). Rechecked.

     

  6. 19 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

     

    Are you 100% the device is on? Because when the trigger is on actually there is no light showing no blinks or anything 

    Also check both camera flash and strobe are in manual without pre-flash as it does not support it

    The reason for asking about the camera and what device you are using to initiate the Anglerfish, was to see if perhaps the Anglerfish was not receiving what it requires to initiate and fire the strobe connected to it.

    Getting the Anglerfish to switch on (and off) is certainly a party trick - especially underwater. But once you are certain it is on, then the problem is likely to be either the cable between the Anglerfish and the remote strobe ; or a problem with what initiates the Anglerfish to fire, ie, your camera and its strobe.

    To switch on, are you getting lights in the order: impact - purple - impact - 2x Blue - 2x impact - purple?

  7. 5 minutes ago, ProfF said:

    1. When I do the ON sequence (first hit blink pink two blues, then two hits with pink light) the device starts having blinking blue light in a rythem of 1-1--------1-1----.... When I do the same sequence again it turns off (no light),. This was also the behavior previous times I used the device successfully :-/

    2. The camera and strobe are on manual mode (always). Rechecked.

     

    That sounds like the Anglerfish is On correctly

  8. I just got mine off the cupboard and exactly like your it no longer fires...interesting!

  9. OK Nir

    It was not turned on properly when it is on it keeps blinking

    Hit once purple then wait two blue hit again wait one second hit again goes in blinking mode

    and works with single core cable no problem 3 meters as long as the strobe is not fussy and inon aren't

    Edited by Interceptor121
  10. 7 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    OK Nir

    It was not turned on properly when it is on it keeps blinking

    Hit once purple then wait two blue hit again wait one second hit again goes in blinking mode

    and works with single core cable no problem 3 meters as long as the strobe is not fussy and inon aren't

    Thanks. I didn't manage to get that working. I will let it rest for few hours and try again (I will cool down and it might reset some error state). I just wish the manual was more informative, as I am sure the blinking blue light has a meaning in the electronic circut/software of this device.

     

  11. It is frustrating at the beginning

    Basically the way I do it is to hold it with the lens up vertical and beat it on my leg proper impact. It goes blinking twice then I hit again once and twice. total 3 hits. At this point it has e continuous blinking (not blue) so you know it is one.

    If you just hit it twice it goes completely off and in limbo seems not to do anything. I unscrew it and remove the battery then is ready to go again.

     

  12. Thanks! So far, no success (battery removal included). I am still not sure what "not turned on properly means" (what did I do wrong). 

  13. Thanks! So far, no success (battery removal included). I am still not sure what "not turned on properly means" (what did I do wrong). 

    It blinks. If it stays off is not on properly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Just to conclude the current episode. I did not get to dive with the trigger as I could not get it to work pre-dive.

    Upon returning home, and letting it and me rest for few days, I retried. In four or five attempts, I got the "proper" on response (blinking blue light) but only once it was really on (triggering the optical port). In that instance it worked with the cable (home made 3m as per interceptor121 recipes) and strobe that I started with.

    So it can work, but I have no clue what determines when it will work.

  15. That sounds really annoying. Worth contacting Anglerfish?

  16. 23 minutes ago, TimG said:

    That sounds really annoying. Worth contacting Anglerfish?

    Will do and update

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.