Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Got my Seacam modded 20-35mm Zoom

Started by John Doe II ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Got my Seacam modded 20-35mm Zoom

8 posts
  1. So a happy ending to a tragic story.......

    Ian posted his Seacm 20-35 Nikonos lens here for sale. I was desperately trying to buy it but I couldn't log in using my original account here. By the time I realised it was just easier to re register and start again, the lens had been sold. I was so devastated !

    Well, a month or two later the same lens popped up here on Wetpixel for sale! I immediately jumped on it. 

    Today, I have that Seacam Nikonos 20-35 on my desk here next to me ! A happy ending to a tragic story. 

    I thought it was nice to share that story in the Xmas period :-)

    Thank you to Ian for all his work getting this lens made and to Nick for being so helpful and easy to work with and his excellent packing job! (trust me, if you buy something from Nick be prepared for trying to open the package - good luck, you are going to need it )

  2. Merry Xmas, JDII! Enjoy your new investment :P

    I love a Christmas story with a happy ending

     

    Edited by TimG
  3. Mark

    Glad it all worked out... all parties happy.

    So let's see, Vernon BC to Ireland, side excursion to Iceland, then off to Zambia, now sitting on your desk. Wow! Well travelled.

    All the best for the holiday season:))

    ian

  4. Hi Ian,

    So who gets the freq flyer points for the air miles this lens has travelled? You, Nick or me?

    I am so so thrilled to have this lens. I think the zoom range suits my intended usage quite well - if anything a little short on the long end. But honestly to have a Seacam modded Nikonos is a dream come true - I firmly believe this is the sharpest/best underwater family of lenses out there. Now to snap up a 13mm Seacam Nikonos ! One will pop up one day. I will sit and wait for the day - no hurry.

    As I said Ian, many thanks to you for getting this lens converted. It will be lovingly looked after and cherished this side.

    And yes, best of the season to everyone.

    Edited by John Doe II
  5. 6 hours ago, TimG said:

    Merry Xmas, JDII! Enjoy your new investment :P

    I love a Christmas story with a happy ending

     

    Thanks Tim!

    It's a nice story I think. I know it sounds melodramatic but I was honestly very shaken when I finally got back on the forum and contacted Ian to buy the lens and it was already sold. Very disappointing moment indeed. So for it to end like this is a great feeling. A Nikonos lens on a Seacam housing is about as good as it gets I think. the only way it can be improved at this time is to get a D850 and Seacam housing for it. I am happy to be getting into a D800 for now - plus I picked up a Seacam D2X housing for my D2X so I can use this lens with my D2X. Sure its long in the tooth but still good as a backup in the very remote area that I live in.

    Rgds

    (Hope Santa surprises you with a lens you lust for)

    Edited by John Doe II
  6. Sounds brilliant - Enjoy.

    Hey, if Santa brings me another lens, it will end in tears with my partner walking out on me..... :rolleyes: 

    She thinks 1 lens is plenty and 6 more than any human might need. I've hidden another 6.

    Life eh?

    Edited by TimG
  7. Tim

     

    When I look through my wife's wardrobe and find a dress with tags on, she usually replies;

    "Oh, that old thing."

    Try that with the lenses. They are all black, round, and look pretty much the same...

    What could go wrong?

     

    ian

  8. Ahhh, what indeed? 

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.