Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

One from ages ago... a lump of GBR life

Started by Craig Ruaux ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

One from ages ago... a lump of GBR life

5 posts
  1. One from ages ago... a lump of GBR life

    I've never had an identification of this mass of life. Shot on the northern Great Barrier Reef with an MX-10 using accessory macro lens + framer, so the mass is probably 5-6 cm (2 inches) across.

     

    This is from my very very early days of shooting underwater, and kinda embarasses me to look at it now :oops:, but I still have a small hankering to work out what it was.

     

    Ascidians.jpg

  2. It's bubble coral, Pleurogyra sinuosa, isn't it? Looks kinda naked without a bubble shrimp or an orangatan crab sitting on it.....

    Leslie

  3. I think you may be right Leslie. Sheesh, four years of wondering what it was, 13 minutes on Wetpixel, <Nextel chirp>DONE<Nextel chirp>.

     

    Thanks Leslie.

     

    BTW: Googlewhacking reveals that most people seem to spell the genus Plerogyra... I'm happy to be told otherwise, authoritatively :)

  4. :oops: .... spelling has never been one of my strong points!

  5. Hi Craig,

     

    Here's a larger Plerogyra or bubble coral:

     

    DSC_1542.jpg

     

    I took this shot in Fiji during the Backscatter digital shootout. Bubble coral is a very popular specimen among reef aquarium enthusiasts. Unfortunately, it's very hard to propagate in captivity.

     

    Cheers

    James

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.