Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

3 fish from Dumaguete

Started by chowe ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

3 fish from Dumaguete

4 posts
  1. I have not been able to ID 4 fish from Dumaguete.  I'll post the 4th in my next Topic.

    _MG_3126.CR2.jpg

    _MG_4091.CR2.jpg

    _MG_4423.CR2.jpg

  2. The first looks like the Ovate Chromis (Chromis ovatiformes).

    I'm pretty sure the second one is a juvenile spotted unicornfish (also called the brown unicornfish).  The juveniles don't have much of a horn yet and the tail stripes are very distinctive.  Check this picture and info out...  https://www.aquainfo.org/article/naso-brevirostris-spotted-unicornfish/     and then just google "juvenile spotted unicornfish" and check out the images...

    image.png.5e8b03dd7690e6376525e697e3131c8b.png

     

    The third picture: they may all be dartfish; the two smaller ones for sure.  I am not 100% sure of the species but the smaller two look like Phillipine dartfish.  Check this link:  https://www.fishbase.se/summary/27610

    I looked at the fourth picture too...looks like a juvenile parrotfish to me but I cant find anything like it anywhere.  and I spent some time on it...sorry...

  3. Thanks Pangeagirl,

    I think you're right on the unicornfish.  I think the markings on the tail of the Philippine dartfish are pretty distinctive though.

    BTW, How was the diving in Viet Nam?

  4. I thought the diving in Viet Nam was fantastic.  Dove around Con Dao first and the corals there are amazing!  Forests of staghorn as far as the eye can see, colourful corals of various types (soft and hard).  the vis wasnt great the days I dove but that happens. Not alot of larger fish as over fishing is an issue there but lots of interesting small ones and lots of nudibranch and slugs.  

    Also dove further up the coast in Nha Trang and there they have an established sanctuary zone.  Tons of activity from dive companies and snorkeling tours but the dive company I went out (Nha Trang Sea Star) with had lots of dive guides and put people with similar capabilities together to tailor experiences.  The reefs in Nha Trang are very healthy and there were lots more fish to see and we found several nudibranch there too.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.