Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 a joke?

Started by AlexDawson ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 a joke?

12 posts
  1. Is the Nauticam M24D2R200-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable a joke or what?

    Whats the reason for Nauticam to create a M28 (28mm) bulkhead for a cable that measures 9m? And force users to buy new housings just to use their Ninja V recorder Housing? 

    I really hope some 3rd party creates a HDMI 2.0 cable with regular M16 bulkhead. I docent seem impossible to me. Or that some one else creates a housing besides Nauticam. 

    Id like too hear a good explanation here #nauticam 

     

     kind regards // Alex 

  2. I'm not an expert, but it is my understanding that the HDMI 2.0 spec, which is needed for 4K60P support, precludes intermediate connectors on the cable, and M16 ports are too small for the standard connectors to fit through, hence the M28 requirement.

  3. Hi Alex,

    I feel your pain! Having the NA-GH5 (M18) and the NA-Flame housing for my Atomos Inferno - also M18. Having gone through the expensive of getting them upgraded to M24, I was very intrigued why also.

    a) Physically a HDMI 90' Plug won't fit in a M18 hole - tried it, even a normal flat plug won't fit
    b) HDMI Mini and Micro plugs aren't all that compatible with signals past 14Gbps - so they don't support 4K or 4KDCI @ 60p at 10bit.

    It's not just Nauticam's issue, I tried trouble shooting the issue with so many different cables, adaptors etc to see where the issue lay, only thing that work was full sized plug based cables - I didn't find one micro to full sized hdmi cable (even if marked as Premium HDMI) that would work, even using a simple micro > full adaptor.

    So the only why for Nauticam to provide us with support for these new 4K and higher signals was to completely move to a straight-through, full sized 'Premium HDMI' cable - even adding breaks in the cable can degrade the performance rendering a cable not compatible with 18Gbps.

    More info - https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

  4. I think it is actually commendable that Nauticam tackled this problem.

    I for one I am not a supporter of 50/60 fps video underwater and I hate the persistent slow motion videos of fish but at least if you really want to do something at that bandwidth you have some options now

    It is more  case of asking yourself if you really need HDMI 2.0 or not 

  5. 20 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    I think it is actually commendable that Nauticam tackled this problem.

    I for one I am not a supporter of 50/60 fps video underwater and I hate the persistent slow motion videos of fish but at least if you really want to do something at that bandwidth you have some options now

    It is more  case of asking yourself if you really need HDMI 2.0 or not 

    It has nothing to do with 50/60 fps it's regarding shooting RAW video at a decent cost. 

  6. 23 hours ago, thetrickster said:

    Hi Alex,

    I feel your pain! Having the NA-GH5 (M18) and the NA-Flame housing for my Atomos Inferno - also M18. Having gone through the expensive of getting them upgraded to M24, I was very intrigued why also.

    a) Physically a HDMI 90' Plug won't fit in a M18 hole - tried it, even a normal flat plug won't fit
    b) HDMI Mini and Micro plugs aren't all that compatible with signals past 14Gbps - so they don't support 4K or 4KDCI @ 60p at 10bit.

    It's not just Nauticam's issue, I tried trouble shooting the issue with so many different cables, adaptors etc to see where the issue lay, only thing that work was full sized plug based cables - I didn't find one micro to full sized hdmi cable (even if marked as Premium HDMI) that would work, even using a simple micro > full adaptor.

    So the only why for Nauticam to provide us with support for these new 4K and higher signals was to completely move to a straight-through, full sized 'Premium HDMI' cable - even adding breaks in the cable can degrade the performance rendering a cable not compatible with 18Gbps.

    More info - https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

    Thank you for you reply. 

    I guess its the head of the HDMI 2.0 plug that's 28mm since the cable is only a couple of mm thick. 

    Im sure someone will find a solution to this as more and more cameras will allow for externa RAW recording of video and the demand will increase. 

     Kind regards // Alex 

  7. 39 minutes ago, AlexDawson said:

    It has nothing to do with 50/60 fps it's regarding shooting RAW video at a decent cost. 

    ProRes RAW is not rawvideo if you have bought a camera that supports it the housing already has it

    There are no cameras retrofit that would support raw video and have already an M16 

    The only case for a retrofit is to give cameras that output 30 fps and wants 50/60 fps all new ones have an M28 installed

    If you are happy with 24/25/30 you can record on a card and use HDMI 1.4 for monitoring

    Edited by Interceptor121
  8. On 1/15/2020 at 8:43 AM, AlexDawson said:

    Im sure someone will find a solution to this as more and more cameras will allow for externa RAW recording of video and the demand will increase. 

    To be honest, I think the m24 port that Nauticam have developed is a great solution and due to the size will be future proof for inbound 8K cameras and all the stuff going forwards. Its just a shame many are stuck with M18 with cameras potentially limited by it.

  9. 14 hours ago, thetrickster said:

    To be honest, I think the m24 port that Nauticam have developed is a great solution and due to the size will be future proof for inbound 8K cameras and all the stuff going forwards. Its just a shame many are stuck with M18 with cameras potentially limited by it.

    Could be true. We just have to wait and see

    I have a solution on the way and will share it here when I know more within 2 weeks :D 

    Happy weekend // Alex 

  10. Just now, AlexDawson said:

    Could be true. We just have to wait and see

    I have a solution on the way and will share it here when I know more within 2 weeks :D 

    Happy weekend // Alex 

    Sorry but what is your issue exactly? What camera do you have the you feel Nauticam solution is an annoyance?

  11. 2 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    Sorry but what is your issue exactly? What camera do you have the you feel Nauticam solution is an annoyance?

    I have the Nikon Z6 with a Sea&Sea Z6 housing.  And I need to shoot Apple ProRes RAW to an external Ninja V recorder underwater, is that strange? 

  12. Looks like your housing is not set with any bulkhead capability either monitoring or recording as the connected is for the sync cables

    I really struggle to understand Nauticam fault into this

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.