Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

For output to 1080 - edit in 4k or 1080

Started by WK's Gone Diving ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

For output to 1080 - edit in 4k or 1080

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    I shoot in 4k and all my edited video is destined for 1080. Using Final Cut, is there any benefit to editing in 4k, or should I just edit in 1080?

    Many thanks

  2. I shoot 4k 30p for all my underwater video. I use Photoshop Premiere without a problem. I output in 1080p because most people do not have 4k tv's or players. Check  your settings before getting started. You should see that option. Some say that once you load your first clip the software automatically recognizes it. 

  3. 18 minutes ago, bill1946 said:

    I shoot 4k 30p for all my underwater video. I use Photoshop Premiere without a problem. I output in 1080p because most people do not have 4k tv's or players. Check  your settings before getting started. You should see that option. Some say that once you load your first clip the software automatically recognizes it. 

    I know how to set the project resolution as well as the output resolution. I was wondering if there was any advantage to editing in 4k instead of 1080.

  4. In final cut pro you set your project preference to the distribution format of choice in this case 1080 the application will use original or optimised media at the source resolution to create render files at 1080

    You can also run a 4K project and then scale down to 1080p at the end

    Generally I create a master in 4K and let the platform scale down (youtube etc) I only create smaller files for facebook in the rare occasion I put something there in 1080 p but I work in 4K all the way through

  5. 9 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:

    In final cut pro you set your project preference to the distribution format of choice in this case 1080 the application will use original or optimised media at the source resolution to create render files at 1080

    You can also run a 4K project and then scale down to 1080p at the end

    Generally I create a master in 4K and let the platform scale down (youtube etc) I only create smaller files for facebook in the rare occasion I put something there in 1080 p but I work in 4K all the way through

    Thanks. Most helpful.

  6. I have not seen any. What you get out of the can is about as good as it is going to get. If you find a difference, I would appreciate knowing what you have found. 

    Thanks

    Edited by bill1946
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.