Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Equivalent of Premiere's Channel Mixer in Final Cut Pro X

Started by rgilkes ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Equivalent of Premiere's Channel Mixer in Final Cut Pro X

7 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

    Long time Premiere Pro user here. I'm giving FCPX a try because performance of Premiere Pro on my Mac has never been good and I'm hearing FCPX is far better.

    When I'm grading my footage, I like to the "Channel Mixer" tool in Premiere to make adjustments to the individual color channels. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent tool in FCPX?

    Thanks!

  2. 16 minutes ago, rgilkes said:

    Hi everyone,

    Long time Premiere Pro user here. I'm giving FCPX a try because performance of Premiere Pro on my Mac has never been good and I'm hearing FCPX is far better.

    When I'm grading my footage, I like to the "Channel Mixer" tool in Premiere to make adjustments to the individual color channels. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent tool in FCPX?

    Thanks!

    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/final-cut-pro/verf87ca7b62/mac

    The idea of using a channel mixer to manipulate colours usually produces fake colours. I have seen a number of tutorials on this where the operator wanted to rebalance the RGB channels to make it look they were all the same. That is not a good idea you are in water blue will be in most cases the dominant colour and this is fine.

    Better to use Hue curves to correct cast or to adjust skew in the colour or saturation then altering the whole thing

     

  3. 3 minutes ago, Interceptor121 said:

    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/final-cut-pro/verf87ca7b62/mac

    The idea of using a channel mixer to manipulate colours usually produces fake colours. I have seen a number of tutorials on this where the operator wanted to rebalance the RGB channels to make it look they were all the same. That is not a good idea you are in water blue will be in most cases the dominant colour and this is fine.

    Better to use Hue curves to correct cast or to adjust skew in the colour or saturation then altering the whole thing

     

    Thanks. I don't use the channel mixer for primary correction, I use curves for this, but the channel mixer is a great secondary tool for fine adjustment pushing or pulling from a channel.

  4. Just now, rgilkes said:

    Thanks. I don't use the channel mixer for primary correction, I use curves for this, but the channel mixer is a great secondary tool for fine adjustment pushing or pulling from a channel.

    There will be for sure a plug in but the standard tools are board, wheels, curve and hue you can get it all done with that

  5. Here's a free 3D party channel mixer plug-in for FCPX :

    Alex4D Channel Mixer: http://www.alex4d.com/free1

    You'll find it in Effects > Stylize Plugins > Channel Mixer – Combines colour values from red, green, blue and alpha.

    and like of these plugins, it has its own installer

     

    cheers

     

    b


     

    Edited by ben gazzal
  6. I Don’t ever use tools like that
    Even in the YouTube video you can see it improves nothing and makes the clip look coarse


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. On 5/18/2020 at 8:07 AM, ben gazzal said:

    Here's a free 3D party channel mixer plug-in for FCPX :

    Alex4D Channel Mixer: http://www.alex4d.com/free1

    Thanks, will check it out

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.