Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Looking for an alternative to the Sony RX100.

Started by Reef ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Looking for an alternative to the Sony RX100.

7 posts
  1. I'm looking for another compact setup. I've dove with a Sony RX100 for years, and I have a much larger Olympus EM5 setup I'll be selling. I had knee replacement, and was an absolute debacle. I'm looking for something fairly lightweight like the Sony, but I'd like to try something new. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. I saw your post on the Oly kit on SB.  Sorry to hear about your knee.  Are there things you don't like about the Sony?  It may help others make better recommendations.  I have an RX100V myself, and my main complaint is the inability of it to WB so ambient is really not possible to get good results with video.  For that reason I am setting up a Panasonic I had to see if I like it better.  Along those lines I think LX10 would be the popular panasonic compact choice, and for MFT interchangeable lenses the G9 would be the next step up.  GH5 would be the next step up.  Moving up in the bodies doesn't add that much weight and size, but the lights, strobes, arms, lenses and ports is where the bulk and weight start adding up, but you knew that.

  3. 1 hour ago, aviator8 said:

    I saw your post on the Oly kit on SB.  Sorry to hear about your knee.  Are there things you don't like about the Sony?  It may help others make better recommendations.  I have an RX100V myself, and my main complaint is the inability of it to WB so ambient is really not possible to get good results with video.  For that reason I am setting up a Panasonic I had to see if I like it better.  Along those lines I think LX10 would be the popular panasonic compact choice, and for MFT interchangeable lenses the G9 would be the next step up.  GH5 would be the next step up.  Moving up in the bodies doesn't add that much weight and size, but the lights, strobes, arms, lenses and ports is where the bulk and weight start adding up, but you knew that.

    I'm not overly impressed with the WB settings (manual), and video with the RX. I've had two complete RX setups. It's not bad, but probably the most disappointing of all the setups I've had. It's a nice compact setup, but again I've had seen better. I'm leaning towards a LX10 II right now, but I'd like opinions. The video quality I've seen from the LX looks top notch. I love the EM5, but it's twice the size of the RX setup. 

  4. I am not very familiar with compact cameras, but in autumn an a dive Safari I met an elderly but in good shape photographer, who had a small Panasonic MFT camera (I think it was GX7, GX8 or similar) in Nauticam housing with standard zoom lens and port. He used it together with a wet wideangle lens (probably he also has a wet diopter for macro), just like a compact camera setup is used. His setup was visibly smaller than the setup of another peer potographer on board, who was using a Sony RX100 in Nauticam housing.

    This way you could have a light setup, but with a better sensor. Over the water you could continue to  use your interchangeable lenses...

    Wolfgang

  5. In terms of weight and overall size, a Panasonic GX9 in NA housing, with 14-42mm, and NA wet wide lens (WWL) is almost the same weight and size as an RX100 in NA-housing with same WWL lens.

    For wide angle, a GX9 with 8mm pana fishey and 4" port is significantly lighter than an RX100 setup with wet wide lens.

  6. I'm not overly impressed with the WB settings (manual), and video with the RX. I've had two complete RX setups. It's not bad, but probably the most disappointing of all the setups I've had. It's a nice compact setup, but again I've had seen better. I'm leaning towards a LX10 II right now, but I'd like opinions. The video quality I've seen from the LX looks top notch. I love the EM5, but it's twice the size of the RX setup. 

    Is the oly setup really the double ? I was really thinking about that or Sony a6xxx. Any comparison pictures ? Thanks


    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
  7. I shoot on the Sony A7iii above water and the Sony RX100Va below water.  The biggest thing I miss when under water is the ability to back button focus.  l'm 33 years old and dive in a 5mm glove when its not summer time and I have a hard time maintaining constant pressure on the shutter button for a half press for focus.  I can only imagine how much worse this is going to be as I age and lose finger dexterity.  For this reason I am REALLY REALLY considering getting the Sony A6400 or A6600 to shoot with.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.