Any tips how to shoot in the night?
e.g. : how to hold the strobe & the camera?
I assume I need to use the strobe also to light the point I shoot so the camera could set the AF/WB....
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by Arnon_Ayal ·
Read-only discussion
Any tips how to shoot in the night?
e.g. : how to hold the strobe & the camera?
I assume I need to use the strobe also to light the point I shoot so the camera could set the AF/WB....
Hi Dede,
actually shooting at night is very easy with a simple dive light. If find it even easier than daylight shooting... It is just a little bit hard to catch fast moving objects... If you shoot in automatic mode, the camera will not be able to freeze fast movements without a strobe... But try shooting withour strobe first. A strong modelling light should deliver nice quality fort Lionfishs, Corals, Octopus etc. Trouble starts with a "dancing" spanish dancer... Also feeding sepia's can be a problem. The edges will appear unsharp.
That's some stuff for the start...
In Cocos I set my 5000 as such:
Wide angle lens, one DS 125 set about 2 ft above the camera and set to F, Fixed manual focus set at 4 ft. F8.0, Aperature priority.
Camera fired first shot when buffer was empty almost instantanously. (i.e. no shutter lag!!)
Mix in about 500 white tip reef sharks in a feeding frenzy at dusk every night and you get some cool pixs.


Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.