Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Help me to choose UW camera for my son

Started by sccho76 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Help me to choose UW camera for my son

6 posts
  1. Hi! dear members

    I'm writing here to ask for help to choose my son's first underwater camera set.

    He is 13yrs old junior advanced openwater diver and and has no knowledge of camera.(I'm using Nikon D800)

    I found 2 camera sets with good prices. But one is pretty complex one and not the other one

    No1. Olympus OM-D Em5(12-50mm lense included) with housing(standard port included) - used one

    No2. Olympus TG6 with housing - new one

    Apparently OM-d is little bit more expensive than  tg6

    which one will be good choice?

    Pls. help me.

    Have a nice day.

    Thank you! 

    resize.jpg

  2. Just bought the TG6 for my 13 year old son who also is a Junior Open Water diver. I set it up with a video light on a flex arm with a tray and handles. This apparently is a great set up for macro and portraits. Also the Olympus housing is not too bulky or expensive. Down the road you can add strobes and a wide angle wet lens.

     

    I’ve got a GH5 (similar to the other m43 camera you mentioned) with a zoom wide angle to medium lens in a dome with two strobes. So together we have every type of shot covered.

     

    I think this is a perfect setup because my son won’t have to worry about much but focus and pressing the shutter button, which is just as well as he is trying to maintain neutral buoyancy!

     

    Here is a video worth watching on a similar setup, select Part 2:

     https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/post/Olympus-TG-5-Best-Underwater-Camera-Settings#

     

    I went with a single flex arm rather than a ball arm because again it’s easier to adjust. Backscatter also has a tether to attach the camera to a BCD, so it doesn’t drift away. The setup above has no floats and will sink.

     

    We will be trying out the TG6 in French Polynesia in a few months.

  3. Based on the systems you have suggested, the TG-6 is versatile and as written, great for macro, and you can add ligts, wide angle lens  as both skill and ambitions increase :).  

  4. I started both my daughter and son out with an Oly m43 system in the Oly (plastic) housing and 1 Inon strobe. They both really enjoyed learning with this rig. Both ended up outgrowing this rig after about 2 years of shooting (about 6-7 dive trips each and a bunch of pool work), and have since graduated to larger rigs.

    the Oly got a ton of use and is now being passed down to a cousin who is starting to shoot u/w.

     

  5. I will buy a sony rx-100 mark II in a plastic housing. You can attach a macro len and a second hand  inon s-2000 flash. I think is a good way to start at underwater photography and you can get amazing pictures with this configuration.

  6. Recommend you consider the SeaLife DC2000 for a beginner.  Very easy to use with the various flash and video light combinations available.  Relatively inexpensive and virtually indestructible.  Great value for the money and superb product support from SeaLife.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.