Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Trip Report - Diving PNG's Witu Islands

Started by Don Silcock ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Trip Report - Diving PNG's Witu Islands

3 posts
  1. The original version of this trip report was posted on the front page of Wetpixel a few weeks ago, but I have now updated it and added some new images on the version I have done on my site. 

    Here is the link to Diving the Witu Islands 

    All the wide-angle images were taken with a Nikon D500 and 8-15mm lens in a Nauticam housing with the 140mm port, which I personally find to be really great combo. The macro images were taken with the 40mm Micro-Nikkor - I screwed up in the last minute packing and left my 60mm and 105mm macros behind... As they say the best lens you have is the one on your camera!

    I have been visiting Papua New Guinea regularly for 20 years, but this was the first time to the Witu Islands and I really was impressed. When you look at the location of the islands in the Bismarck Sea, relative to the rest of the Coral Triangle, it becomes clearer why they are such so biodiverse.

    Here are a few images to illustrate what I mean.

    Don

    Barneys Reef_03_logo_750.jpg

    Dickie's Gonads_06_logo_750.jpg

    Wire Bay_logo_750.jpg

  2. Hi Don - what time of year did you make the trip?    

  3. Hi Mike, sorry for the slow response - only just saw your message...

    I was there in November last year.

    Don

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.