Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Compact setup: canon sl3 vs Sony RX100

Started by caolino ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Compact setup: canon sl3 vs Sony RX100

12 posts
  1. Hi, 

    I have lately read the article on Ikelite about the best compact setup with advanced performance and in the article they were suggesting the canon sl3 as the real step forward if you want keep a compact setup. I’m a mirrorless fan topside but the argument for the underwater setup make a lot of sense. What do you think?

    i

  2. You can simulate compact setups with wet lenses on DSLR or Mirrorless and they will be nearly as compact as something like an RX100. However, the Canon SL3 would be the last camera I would think of to do a setup like that. Have a look at something like a Panasonic GX9 with kit lens and wet lenses or Sony A6XXX series. 

  3. Personally, I don't put much weight behind articles written by a manufacturer. Independent reviews are what you should be looking for. 

     

    Also you're comparing a DLSR to a high end point and shoot, which have entirely different price points, use cases, pro and cons, etc.

  4. With kit lens and wet lenses... Sony A6XXX series is a good and more cheap option with Fantasea Housing that Panasonic GX9 and Nauticam housing, but Panasonic GX9 also is a good option and have more lens options in the market if you decide to use dedicated lenses in the future.

  5. Thanks for your comments.
    I like the current setup which I use with a single strobe sea&sea D2 but I have the following pain points:
    Focus hunting when zooming in difficult light condition beyond 35mm
    Battery life
    Recycle time

    I love the compactness and good image quality.
    I can’t give the compact size but I’d like to improve the above points.

  6. Thanks for your comments.
    I like the current setup which I use with a single strobe sea&sea D2 but I have the following pain points:
    Focus hunting when zooming in difficult light condition beyond 35mm
    Battery life
    Recycle time

    I love the compactness and good image quality.
    I can’t give the compact size but I’d like to improve the above points.
    Can you describe what is that you are shooting past 35mm when it focus hunts?
    The rx100 have very strong focus performance if you set them correctly and never had an issue

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

  7. Can you describe what is that you are shooting past 35mm when it focus hunts?
    The rx100 have very strong focus performance if you set them correctly and never had an issue

    Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk


    I use flexible spot small to focus on the eyes and then I zoom to 40-50mm and the focus is hunting sometime good or sometime focus not in the eyes


    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
  8. Are we talking close up shots here?

  9. Are we talking close up shots here?

    Yes


    Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
  10. The RX100 working distance increase as you zoom approaching one foot on land that becomes 40 cm in water so it will go back an forth the focus point and generally fail until you zoom out

  11. The RX100 working distance increase as you zoom approaching one foot on land that becomes 40 cm in water so it will go back an forth the focus point and generally fail until you zoom out

    Thanks, maybe this is the issue. It is bigger in low light condition.
    I have read that the minimum underwater is 5inches (underwater photography guide) at 28, is it correct ?
  12. Put the camera in the bathtub and find out yourself is what I do...

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.