Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shooting crocodiles-tips

Started by Skittles ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting crocodiles-tips

9 posts
  1. I am looking for tips on shooting crocodiles.   I am excited to going to Cuba (Jardines de La Rena) in March this year.   My camera is a Nikon D850.  I have a 60 mm . a 16-35 mm and a 8-15 fish eye lens. If anyone can advise the best angle and any ideas as how to shoot them that would be great.  

  2. Depends how friendly they are! 

    Not 60mm I'd have thought unless you want shots of eyes. 16-35 should be good. 8-15 too distorting would be my view.

     

  3. Having been to Cuba and having dived the Gardens there, I can tell you that the crocs move pretty quickly  and follow focus is important.  I was shooting video, so this may not apply to you.  However, they do get close, so a shorter lens is probably good as TimG says.  One meter or less is not uncommon.  It is a very cool experience, have fun!  I would love to go back someday.

  4. When I was there, the dive masters really limited the time we could be in the water. The crocs were getting too close and too "friendly." They started yelling at me to get out. One approached me but at a really bad (photographically) angle. I was looking right into the sun and couldn't even see the rear screen on my camera through the glare. So I put the settings on what I though I needed, and started shooting. I used a Tokina 10-17 (at 10mm) with a mini dome. These are my best shots (not great). I asked the captain if we could go back a couple of days later, but he said that the itinerary was set by the government. For the closest shot (ironically, when I was shooting blind from the hip), my dome was probably a foot from the croc's nose. Yeah, they get close. The viz was only about 10 - 15' as I recall so a longer lens won't help. I don't think I was in the water with them for more than 10 minutes. It's done on snorkel.

    Croc - 1.jpg

    Croc - 2.jpg

    Edited by JohnnyQuest
  5. Nice work @JohnnyQuest!

  6. Thanks. Always wish I could have done better. There's always a next time!

  7. I haven't been, but in these situations you usually just follow the guide's instructions - they'll put the crocs right in front of you!

    Awesome shots @JohnnyQuest !

  8. I would agree with the general posts.    I shot the crocs in Cuba about two years ago.    I would use my Tokina 10-17 as the crocs came really close.   I would also have a single strobe to front light them or light up their mouths, as they open their jaws frequently.    I had no strobe.   I got nice shots, but crocs with open dark mouths.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.