Hi All, new to the forum but familiar with underwater photography. I recently moved into a Olympus EM5 Mk II with a Olympus Housing PT-EP13 Housing. I've been using the standard flat port with the 9-18mm Olympus wide angle lens. I'm shooting natural light with no strobes.
The issue I'm having is that i have issues focusing on my subject. I did a model shoot where several photos were just completely blurry. I chalked it up to backscatter because i was shooting towards the sun even though there really wasn't anything in focus that I could tell (picture posted). I just got back from a trip where I had the chance to photograph whales and I had the same issue. Focus point was on the subject, picture was taken but nothing was in focus. This time I had ideal lighting and was shooting away from the sun and the whales had enough contrast to pick up on the camera. I'm confused and slightly annoyed because that has never happened with my canon point and shoots underwater, the olympus focuses perfectly fine above water, and I can't figure out a way to make sure the camera focuses on my subject. I've tried different settings from P to M mode, AF-S, AF-C, Continuous Tracking. I'm at a loss and wanted to see if anybody has any tips for getting crisp shots every time. On my Nikon D850, pictures can't be taken unless the subject is focused or i hold the AF-L button down.
Anybody else having this issue?