Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best Sony Picture Profile?

Started by davec13o2 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Best Sony Picture Profile?

6 posts
  1. Does anyone use the Sony Picture Profiles?  I'm interested mostly in ambient lighting video at reduced depth with an a7RIII

    Would Cine 2 or 4 be better than S-Log considering that scene lighting can rapidly change making post production difficult?  Or should I just go with PP1?

    Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

    Dave

    Edited by davec13o2
  2. I see no replies here. I'll try to resurrect this thread witha new question.

    I'm doing some deep work with two cameras: my GH5 and my buddy with a A6300. Both of us with Keldan CRI95 lights.

    First results were a nightmare to CC in post. I have my GH5 set to Natural 0 -3 -3 0 0 while the A6300 i set to PP Off.

    Images on A6300 are really saturated and punchy with nearly no room for CC.

    Any suggestion of a Sony Picture profile more natural?  I don't want to use SLog and spending hours with CC

    Am I missing some settings? Sony menu system is a nightmare

     

    Thank you in advance

     

    Edited by Davide DB
  3. I see no replies here. I'll try to resurrect this thread witha new question.
    I'm doing some deep work with two cameras: my GH5 and my buddy with a A6300. Both of us with Keldan CRI95 lights.
    First results were a nightmare to CC in post. I have my GH5 set to Natural 0 -3 -3 0 0 while the A6300 i set to PP Off.
    Images on A6300 are really saturated and punchy with nearly no room for CC.
    Any suggestion of a Sony Picture profile more natural?  I don't want to use SLog and spending hours with CC
    Am I missing some settings? Sony menu system is a nightmare
     
    Thank you in advance
     

    Unfortunately Sony A6xxx series are am utter mess and A7 are not far off it
    See if it has a cine2 profile you can try to match it with cined or perhaps v


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. On 2/27/2020 at 12:36 AM, davec13o2 said:

    Does anyone use the Sony Picture Profiles?  I'm interested mostly in ambient lighting video at reduced depth with an a7RIII

    Would Cine 2 or 4 be better than S-Log considering that scene lighting can rapidly change making post production difficult?  Or should I just go with PP1?

    Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

    Dave

    Hello, davec13o2

    I've used A7S2 and R2 underwater for 4-5 years, now I am using PP7 or 9, s-gamut 3 cine, slog 2 or 3. 

    I tried many PP including cine, but it was not enough for me as I like ambient-natural light very much, and I did not want to lose highlights.

    I am generally happy with results, but also have some issues, like color-banding after color correction, some noise from higher ISO and log. But I belive you can overcome these unless you play it in a huge screen or using for commercials.
     

    99% slog-2, s-gamut3 

  5. Miru,

    Good point.  I'll give it a try.  

    Nice Komodo shots - a good push to put it on my list.

  6. I've used HLG3 and it's terrible! 

    Will see if Cine2 is available, if not I guess I'll have to keep working with my gopro and good light :( boooo 

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.