Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Monitor darkness - SpyderX the solution?

Started by Julian JvR ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Monitor darkness - SpyderX the solution?

7 posts
  1. I know some of the earlier models have been mentioned, but wondering if anyone has used this and found it useful.

    Having looked at some of my images that were processed on my monitor and then viewed on my phone it is clear that there are some issues. Not so much from color casting, but that the images are much darker when viewed on the phone.

    Guessing this will help? will it?

  2. Hi Julian

    I guess the issue is that you need to calibrate both your monitor and your phone using, ideally the same process. But is it even possible to calibrate a smartphone?

     

     

     

  3. If your photos look dark on other monitors it is often the case you are editing them on a monitor that is too bright - most low-mid range monitors have very high native brightness for gaming use. 

    Any sort of calibration device to set your monitor to the desired standard brightness will help Generally recommended brightness fr images is 100 to 140 cd/m2.  Any calibration device will allow you to set to a brightness range.

  4. Many thanks for the comments.

    Will have a stab at this brightness and see if things can be done directly with the monitor rather than forking out on a Spyder at this stage.

  5. It looks like LensRentals will rent a calibration device for 7 days @$42.  https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/colormunki

    This is really all you need to set up a profile and tune your monitor.  It is not absolutely required to have the device connected long term.

    I've had a Spyder3 for many years but only ever re-calibrate if I change hardware.  New monitors, video card, clean install the OS, etc.

  6. It is very important to have a decent monitor for editing. Most monitors may have fancy settings but fail a proper sRGB calibration miserably

    Clearly phones and tv are even more of a wild west but they tend to increase brightness so if you work on a calibrated monitor you will always have color accuracy and in terms of brightness it will display ok on devices that manage it well

    I have a Benq monitor and comes with a calibration sheet for the unit when I edit videos I have much accurate results. For pictures I am editing on a macbook that has  tendency to increase contrast due to Apple choice of gamma curve so when you export things and then someone sees them on a standard device they may look a bit dim at times

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.