Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lightroom Workflow tutorial

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Lightroom Workflow tutorial

5 posts
  1. Hi folks!

    I identified that many people seem to struggle with catalogs, particularly with how to import "trip" catalogs which contain edits and sorts, into a "home" catalog.

    So here is the way I do it: https://wetpixel.com/articles/tutorial-lightroom-field-workflow

    Very happy to use this as a basis for discussion, feel very free to add comments on here.

  2. I use a permanent travel catalog, made from an emptied copy of my main catalog. When on a trip I import to a collection (eg Bonaire 2020). I backup to separate hard drives. After the trip I first export (the images in the )collection as a catalog and then import that catalog in the main one as you described (including raw files).

     

    I think having a permanent (or semi permanent, as i sometimes change settings) is easier, since you can use your import and other presets.

    Edited by Cerianthus — a bit more explanation
  3. Thanks for this, Adam. A very good read,

    I use a similar set up: one catalog (yep, essential) with just over 45,000 images. As you say, this makes it easily searchable. And then the YY-MM-DD-subject file structure.

    You mention renumbering to make sure there aren't two files with the same number. One thing I have found helpful: I'm fortunate enough to have 3 Nikon bodies all of which produce a DSC prefix to the file names. I've renamed them in the camera's default setting to DSZ6, DSD5 and DSD500. This helps a bit. 

    On backups, like you I have set up a RAID system. In addition to the main copy on my  iMac (with a 3TB fusion drive), I have 3 RAID copies, two in one drive enclose (a G-Drive system) and third which I swap out once a month and which is then stored in my basement. I have found the software package GoodSync excellent for keeping al the copies the same. I also have 2x 4TB drives in a Synology NAS which updates very hour or two. So that's, errrr, 6 copies in total! Obsessive or what?

    Thanks for pointing out the "Import from Another Catalog" option. Just goes to show you, that you can use LR for many years without spotting something!

     

     

  4. Thank you Adam
    You should write more!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. On 4/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, Cerianthus said:

    I think having a permanent (or semi permanent, as i sometimes change settings) is easier, since you can use your import and other presets.

    I can't see any drawbacks to this, except, I add specific keywords in my import metadata. I guess the advantage of using one travel catalog, keeps your entire keyword list current?

    Adam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.