Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Shoot HDR or SDR in 2020?

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Shoot HDR or SDR in 2020?

4 posts
  1. As I said in another thread, I am willing to learn and change. Currently with My GH5s, I always shoot 10bit all intra. I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Alienware 15m r1 with an Nvidia 2080 rx . The laptop has an HDMI 2.0 that can output HDR. I have a Samsung OLED Q8 2018 model that is HDR capable. I need to learn the easiest/best HDR workflow. I know it is not straight forward workflow given the immaturity of the processes and the lack of monitoring tools.

    To start with, should I shoot Vlog L or HLG?  

  2. 10 hours ago, thani said:

    As I said in another thread, I am willing to learn and change. Currently with My GH5s, I always shoot 10bit all intra. I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2.1 on Alienware 15m r1 with an Nvidia 2080 rx . The laptop has an HDMI 2.0 that can output HDR. I have a Samsung OLED Q8 2018 model that is HDR capable. I need to learn the easiest/best HDR workflow. I know it is not straight forward workflow given the immaturity of the processes and the lack of monitoring tools.

    To start with, should I shoot Vlog L or HLG?  

    Both are HDR capable. Vlog will give you more delivery options and more grading options. HLG is "quicker" to output. You will also need a Blackmagic ultrastudio monitor or similar to output a clean signal to your monitor (otherwise the output is color managed by your graphics card), that being said nothing stopping you to experiment. Set your scopes to HDR mode within resolve and properly set the color space of your input, timeline and output and have fun.

  3. i created that post before I had the V-LOG key. With V-LOG you can postpone the decision to edit. Currently am trying to work out the ISO limits for V-LOG and what it means for exposure in HDR. Working with 1600 tops right now

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.