I just got a digital system. I have a D70 in an Ike housing with two DS125's. I've just acquired a Nikon 12-24mm lens and have conflicting info as to whether or not I need a diopter to use with this lens. If anybody can give me a definitive answer I'd appreciate it.
I use the 5503.50 port and no diopter....you can check out my webpage for some examples...wakatobi Gallery
Karl
Ikelite's official answer is on their ports for Nikon DSLR housing page...
For the 12-24 mm DX-ED wide-angle lens, they call for using the #5503.50 dome port together with the #5509.12 special internal port sleeve with rubber pads to operate the zoom. The "?*" notation means that Ikelite believes a diopter is NOT required with this lens and dome configuration. YMMV.
Frogfish
You definatley do not need a diopter with this lens, in the sense that when you take it underwater you will be able to focus on objects both close and to inifinity.
Unlike the 18-70 which does not have the minimum focus distance necessary to function at all without a diopter. You will not be able to lock focus at all without a diopter on the 18-70.
Some have hinted that the 12-24 may benefit from using a diopter, but to my knowledge noone has proven that yet, and I'm very satisfied with my diopter'less pictures.