Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Color doesn't always matter...

Started by Lionfi2s ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Color doesn't always matter...

9 posts
  1. as can be clearly seen in this video by or co-member Davide DB.

    Color is not there but the cinematography, editing and music score are conveying the message so well that a color version might not have worked so well.

    Davide this one should be shown in courses. Respect my friend.

     

     

    Edited by Lionfi2s — typo
  2. I disagree

    Color always matters. It can help set the mood or tone for a video.

    That doesn't mean it has to contain lots of colours, but it can still be used creatively.

    Even the absence of colours can be a creative choice.

     

  3. 5 minutes ago, Aquatic Images said:

    I disagree

    Color always matters. It can help set the mood or tone for a video.

    That doesn't mean it has to contain lots of colours, but it can still be used creatively.

    Even the absence of colours can be a creative choice.

     

    Obviously the title choice goes with the particular video.

    Black and white are still colors.

    And in my eyes it is a much more artistic creative choice compared to unnatural vivid colors, slow mo and glitch effects. But that is subjective.

  4. It all depends on what you are trying to create, what story you are looking to tell. Which shots will go best with your ideas and how those shots will work with your color idea. I genuinely don't have a particular preference on color, as long as they are complimentary to the images and story. And yes I like this, choosing few colors for wrecks that don't have much coral growth works well

  5. I think you're both saying the same thing.

    The shades of grey are also colours and I thought they were perfect for this subject. A wreck and a story over seventy years old.

    As I wrote in the description of the video, given the boredom of quarantine I did some cleaning in the archives and I found this 2013 video never published because it had to be part of a project never made.

     Moreover black and white allowed me to hide some of the flaws in the shooting.

    I shot it with a Panasonic GH2 which was a great device at the time but certainly didn't excel in dynamic range. The wreck Lies on a sandy bottom between 15 and 30 meters with crystal clear water. Impossible to illuminate when shooting with a wide angle lens  (especially in 2013). Add that I've never used a red filter because I've always shot with lights in deep water.

    The result was an "all blue and green" video as you can see in thousands made without lights.

    Cattura.thumb.PNG.bfe14e9d09df24c9e3bcaf71cf91064c.PNG

     

    I liked it at the time but watching it after 7 years... Hence the idea of turning it into a sort of black and white.

    Cheers

  6. I am of the opinion that black and white is better than blue and green.

    Cameras can preserve tones of grey better than colours this is true in every circumstance so if you have scenes that are correctly exposed not backlit etc black and white can be useful. 

    I prefer a black and white image of a deep wreck than blue turning purple and washed out colours

  7. This video is really inspiring: color, COMPOSITION and multiple layer effect. I love it

     

     

  8. Surely a lot of that is personal preference.  Some like colour, some don't.  Depends on the viewer.

    Personally i've never yet seen a B&W image or video that i didn't think "i bet this would look so much better in colour" but i fully understand there are people who feel the exact opposite.

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.