Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17mm - Opinions and or options

Started by B Harris ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17mm - Opinions and or options

8 posts
  1. Hello,

    I am getting back into UW Photography after a 10 year break.

    I have just picked a nice housing, ports etc and other items and now considering a wide angle lens.

    The dome port I have is pretty much compatible with most lenses, the extension ring/zoom gear I have is for a  Tokina 10-17mm.

    If any anyone has some feedback on this lens it would be useful.

    I used to a Nikon 10.5 fisheye but was not too keen on the this. I also had a Nikon 17-35mm which was great but very heavy (the cost of these even secondhand are quite alot).

    Also looking at alternative lenses for wide angle so please share. 

    I already have a Nikon 24-70mm which I use topside, but again this is a bit of a lump !

    The camera I have is a Nikon D7000 (crop sensor)

    Thanks

    Brian

    UK.

     

  2. Hey Brian

    I think for crop sensor users the Tokina 10-17 is still pretty much the go-to wide-angle lens.

    Other options could be: the Nikkor 8-15. I've switched to that and the IQ is definitely better than the Tokina. It performs as an approx 12-22 on the D7000. A lot more expensive though than the Tokina. The Nikkor 8-15 will also work with the Kenko 1.4 DGX TC (It has to be the DGX model) to produce a approx 18-33 lens. 

    Adam Hanlon wrote a post some time back about various WA lens including the Nikkor 10-24 DX which, if I remember rightly, he also rated. Worth a search.

  3. For fisheye crop lenses yes, the Tokina 10-17 is the most popular one.

    I use the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 however, and they just released a new, slightly improved version of it too. 

    They also make 11-20mm f2.8 and are releasing a new version of this lens too which I might pick up.

    These lenses are not fisheye lenses though, so depends on the look you are going for. For video, it's an amazing wide lens.

  4. Thanks for the update people, the Nikon 8-15mm looks interesting. 

    Definitely food for thought !

  5. 5 hours ago, B Harris said:

    Thanks for the update people, the Nikon 8-15mm looks interesting. 

    Definitely food for thought !

    Yeah, it seems an odd combination with DX but if you search around on WP you'll find a good few people using it with the Nikon D500.

     

     

  6. Hi Brian - I'm in process of selling my Nikon D810 rig with Sigma 15mm and dome.    Find my posting in classifieds and google link to the details and photos.    Emails welcomed.  I'm motivated.     thanks.

  7. 2 hours ago, MikeLGlobal said:

    Hi Brian - I'm in process of selling my Nikon D810 rig with Sigma 15mm and dome.    Find my posting in classifieds and google link to the details and photos.    Emails welcomed.  I'm motivated.     thanks.

    Mike...the OP has clearly already stated that he has bought a camera and housing. 

    Your posts about your Classified ad comes across as spam. The place for sales is on the Classifieds, not on threads on other forums...

    Adam

    Edited by adamhanlon
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.