Hello all,
I’ve been looking into upgrading my kit for a while, to have a better image quality and control over what I’ve been using so far for video, ie Go Pros 4 to 7 and a TG5 ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGm5QuR4KQftzMoaAM1ExSW0UFKNatJRR )
I had a Canon G12 in the past as well as a Lumix compact, and miss the image quality, and also having a more practical camera to work with.
I’m trying to gather opinions on the best upgrade options - if any on my budget - for underwater video excusively.
A lot of the reviews and tests are very photocentric and commercial, so it’s hard to get a clear picture on actual video results. I’ve been reading up on some very useful threads here but I thought I would avoid hijacks and ask directly, hope this is ok.
To give a bit more detail, I work in diving, currently in between jobs - and as much as I like video I do not intend to go do this more professionally, as I do want the extra pressure of having to produce - however I would really like to have more control / get better image quality and also move forward.
I will be doing video only, mostly shallow wide-angle in ambient light in the tropics.
Main concerns would be good white balance and good low light response. I'd love to have some macro options in the future, but for the time being, wide angle is fine. Camera will be in the water a lot, sometimes in roughish conditions, so a good housing is in order.
As much as I'd love to go for bigger / mirrorless cameras like the GH5 , the price tag of the camera + lens + housing combos is beyond my current budget - that would have to wait for a couple of years and/or a steadier position.
I'm quite limited at the moment, 2000 USD tops, ideally in the 1500 USD range. I've been looking into compacts, narrowing it down to the Lumix LX10, Lumix LX100 ii, Sony RX100 series, but maybe there are other, better options, for a reasonably sized and priced video rig.
A cruise director friend is getting good results on the RX100, but I must say I’m quite partial to Panasonic - my first UW camera was a Lumix compact, and I was very impressed by the video white balance i was getting with a UR Pro filter.
I’m currently mostly in developping Asian countries, so quite limited as to what I have access to second-hand / or online, unfortunately.
Any tips would be very welcome - I'm torn between the desire to finally upgrade and a nagging feeling that I should better wait until I have a better opportunity to invest in more advanced gear.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
Ben