Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam viewfinder slr vs mil

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam viewfinder slr vs mil

11 posts
  1. Hi all.

    I just had my first dive with my new Sony A7r4 in Nauticam housing. I had the 45 ' viewfinder from my old slr housing installed, but it didn't work like it used to. The view was not clear, and I couldn't see the whole picture. I know Nauticam makes a viewfinder for mil housings, but I thought the difference was in the mount, and was happy to see my old viewfinder fit perfectly.

    Does anyone know if I just need to change to a mil viewfinder, and everything will be ok?  I hope so.

  2. As far as I know, it's only the mount, otherwise it's the same viewfinder.  If you can't see the whole viewfinder that's probably a positioning issue with the viewfinder.  When you say you had it fitted, did they just change the mounting or does the SLR viewfinder fit the A7R4 housing directly?  You could try it outside the housing to see if getting it closer the camera viewfinder shows you the full field of view.

    If it's not clear maybe you could try various diopter settings on the Sony viewfinder?

     

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  3. I didn´t have it fitted. The viewfinder went directly in the housing.

    I had the diopter on the camera set to fit my eyesight, and in the water I tried turning the diopter knob on the viewfinder both ways, but unsuccessful.This is how I used to do on the DSLR housing.

     

     

  4. Sounds strange - try holding the viewfinder up to the eyepiece outside the housing to see if it is a positioning issue - move it back and forth to see if the view improves.  If you could mount or position the viewfinder so you can adjust the diopter on your camera while checking the view that would also be worth trying

    Optically there should be no difference looking through an SLR viewfinder vs an EVF.  Both use optics to allow you to have a magnified view of a small flat surface - either the focusing screen or the EVF chip - with normal distance vision.

    Edited by ChrisRoss
  5. Well.I just tested with a new viewfinder for MIL housings. The problem is the same. Apparently it's a known problem, and you can't get a clear and full view in the viewfinder on the A7 housing.

    I was sure that it was a matter  of me spending money on a new viewfinder, and the problem would be solved. 

    What ticks me off, is that the viewfinder is listed as an accessory to the housing, and therefore should work. I already had the viewfinder before buying the housing, but if I bought both at the same time as a set, I would want my money back from my dealer, who would have to deal with Nauticam about it.

    I hope Nauticam steps up, and find a solution to this problem, as I really want to keep using my 45´viewfinder.

    Would like to hear from other A7 shooters, to know how they use the camera. Backscreen? Monitor? Other.....?

     

  6. My daughter shoots with a Sony A7iii in a Nauticam housing. She uses the back screen exclusively...

    When I shoot with her camera it takes me awhile to get used to, as I shoot (mostly) with a D500 in a Nauticam housing with the 45' viewfinder.

  7. I think the problem maybe with the camera's viewfinder magnification.  I have used my 45° viewfinder with three different cameras in Nauticam housings, Canon 7Dm MkII, Canon 5D MkIII and Sony A7RIV.  There was no problem with seeing the full viewfinder with the two Canons which have viewfinder magnifications of 0.63 ( 7Dm MkII) and 0.71X (5D MkIII) but with the A7RIV which has a viewfinder magnification 0.78X and is therefore much bigger than either of the Canons,  I can't quite see all the viewfinder.  There is a limit on how big the field of view is on 45°, the bigger viewfinder on the camera becomes there is a point where it will no longer fit the field of view of the 45° viewfinder.

    Personally, I prefer having a large view of the viewfinder with a little bit missing in the corners than a full view of a much smaller viewfinder in the camera.

    Edited by Gudge
  8. I have removed the 45´viewfinder, and will take the rig out tomorrow , using the back screen. I am sure I can get used to that, but I really like to use the viewfinder, and kind of block everything else out of sight.

    Not being able to see the whole view is an unacceptable compromise on such a high end camera/housing. Especially when the viewfinder is sold as an accessory to the housing. I don't see anywhere on Nauticams webpage that the view should be limited in the 45´viewfinder on the A7RIV. Quite the opposite.

    Would be nice if someone from Nauticam would comment on wether or not a solution to the problem is in progress. 

  9. I went back and checked my view of the EVF again over a couple of dives and can confirm that I can see all of the viewfinder.  I have a very low volume mask that allows me to get my eye close to the 45° viewfinder eyepiece.  Maybe, your mask prevents you from getting your eye close enough to the viewfinder eyepiece to see all the view in the viewfinder.

  10. I removed the viewfinder and started using the back screen only, but I couldn't really get used to that, so I quickly installed the viewfinder again. 

    The view is clear, but I still can't see the whole picture, but almost. I have gotten used to it, and am very excited about both the camera and the housing.

    That said, I still hope a solution is on the way about the viewfinder.

  11. Considering the cost of two viewfinder I am wondering if it would be more useful to have an external monitor that can cover wide and macro at any angle?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.