Hi all,
I am currently on my way to upgrading to a mirrorless system based on the Panasonic G85 in an Ikelite DLM/B housing (6961.08). I am already equipped for wide angle using the Olympus 8mm fisheye in an 8” dome port (5516.81) and for macro using the Olympus 60mm macro in an extended flat port (5516.50). My mid-range, run-and-gun option is the Panasonic Leica 12-60mm in a 6” dome with zoom (5515.15) and a 1.2” extension (5516.65).
Unfortunately, according to Ikelite’s DLM/B port chart, the 12-60 will slightly vignette at 12mm. I spoke with John at Ikelite and, although he was extremely helpful, he was not immediately aware of a port/extension combination for the 12-60 that would not vignette. That said, Backscatter recommends the use of a +2 close up lens with this configuration.
I understand that the principle of a low-strength diopter behind a dome port is usually to improve corner sharpness by moving the virtual image closer to the lens. However, my questions are as follows:
1. Is the addition of a diopter likely to remove the vignetting?
2. What will be the impact on field of view? Will I still get 12mm?
3. Will I still be able to focus to infinity?
4. Can I use step a down ring with a diopter, without impacting image quality, if I want to fit it to a smaller lens?
5. Are there other options to address vignetting or do I just live with a slightly crippled lens at wide?
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance and advice!
Doug