I still maintain several Nikonos cameras and a housed Nikon 8008s system. The cameras see limited use as my digital system involves packing a lot of equipment. Some of the film gear occasionally makes trips where flying isn't involved. I do some travel via truck into Mexico.
As noted in Algwyn's post, using film presents some limitations. I've sometimes used my film cameras to mentally reset my brain to put more effort into composing photographs. It's easy with digital to operate in 'point & spray' mode.
I've packed film gear out to Isla Guadalupe a couple of times and captured images of white sharks with color as well as black & white film. During both of these trips, there was no shortage subjects so it was easy to switch between digital and film. The color images have a different look that digital. Interestingly, while I developed the black & white negatives, I never got around to printing them. I've still got the negatives stored around here somewhere.
Keeping my Ikelite Nikon 8008s housing in service has been a challenge. Replacement o-rings for the housing back proved difficult to find. Ikelite stopped making the o-rings years ago and the parts department folks didn't believe they had any old stock. I was able to research an obscure Ikelite part reference number and they discovered that they did have some. I purchased their remaining stock. The Ikelite service department will not attempt to service my housing. They're afraid they might break it.
As long as Bob at Southern Nikonos is willing to service my Nikonos cameras, I'll be able to keep them running. I'm not aware of anyone else in the U.S. who's still doing service work on Nikonos cameras.
I think using the film cameras from time to time helps me be a better photographer, but digital is lots easier. Getting my recently published book completed has been my major focus for three years and doing lots of shooting with film hasn't been much of a priority.
-AZTinman