Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UV Filter on SLR Cameras

Started by P-Allman ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

UV Filter on SLR Cameras

6 posts
  1. I recently upgraded my system to Canon 5D mIV with nauticam housing. First dive is tomorrow. I use the camera for terrestrial photography and keep a UV "protection" filter on the front of my 100 m macro lens. Does this filter have any value underwater? Should I remove the filter before diving?

  2. Definitely remove the UV filter before diving.

  3. I remove mine as well.

  4. I would remove it.  I don't believe they have any function above or below water except in specific circumstances like protection from salt spray or shooting in close to waterfalls etc. 

    I have seen specific cases where it has been shown that UV filters are the cause of cause immediately noticeable image degradation. Due to poor coatings or the filter glass not being flat and parallel to the required degree.   If you are going to add a filter it should be manufactured to the same standards of grinding/polishing/coating as your lens elements.  Not all of them are.

  5. Basically, why would you put an inexpensive filter in front of expensive optics?

  6. 4 hours ago, JackConnick said:

    Basically, why would you put an inexpensive filter in front of expensive optics?

    True whether shooting above or below water. 

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.