36 minutes ago, Glasshouse said:
As far as I am aware, there is no specification to state what RAW ‘technically’ is. I also don’t believe it really matters. What’s important is what you can do with the footage you manage to capture.
About 6months I upgraded from a GoPro to a BMPCC4K rig and absolutely love it. I’ve never had to worry about learning to get exposure or white balance perfect in camera.. I can just do it in post. Not having to worry about this sort of thing means I can actually film and more importantly, enjoy the dive at the same time.
Do you need RAW.. no, but you also don’t need IBIS or zoom lenses, or a scuba tank... Yet it’s still nice to have the flexibility.
I find it a lot easier to hold a neutrally buoyant rig stable underwater than I do getting exposure perfect in a world where we can’t plan shots and ask the nice marine wildlife to do something again because weren’t ready the first time.
For me RAW (or none RAW... BRAW) is significantly more useful than something like IBIS.
Yes there is a definition RAW is unprocessed sensor data at the bit depth of the ADC in the sensor.
You then have lossless and lossy RAW.
BRAW is none of either is just a video codec with high bitrate andapparently uses the same DCT that prores uses. It may have the headroom but it locks you down to a single product and vendor more than ProRes RAW does. In this respect is the same as proprietary RAW formats like Canon or ARRI but it is not RAW so really I do not see much point in this.
I am not sure you can make a call from gopro to BMPCC if you have not used a camera that has it? I have tried all of them and IBIS has his merits together with the ability to make changes however this is not substitute for correct exposure and light
All those things help
Currently ProRes RAW is the only RAW lossy offering that is available at consumer level and is also very efficient as it compresses sensor data the bitrate are manageable with current equipment. One concerns are royalties only atomos is willing to pay them but their supported camera list grows everyday
The only non pro camera right now that can go underwater and records RAW is the Zcam E2 all the others don't have RAW