I am about to post a list of equipment for sale as I am in process of upgrading, but have never sold online before. I am more than a bit cautious and seek advice on the recommend approach to receiving payment & shipping the goods. Thanks in advance.
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Payment Options
-
-
PayPal is always an option that gives you some safety. However, there are some costs. The discussion is always who pays those costs : the buyer or the seller.
I personnaly prefer bank transfer.
Eric
-
Thank you Eric. I suppose that the buyer will also have a preference, so may as well post my items and proceed from there. All the best
-
Hi Mike
If you are selling/buying through the Wetpixel Classifieds, I'd suggest being guided by how long the buyer/seller has been a member - how many posts they have made. Anecdotally transactions seem to go well, certainly based on comments on the website, with few problems. I must have made over a dozen transactions over the last 10+ years and have never had a problem.
As lambee01 suggests, PayPal is an option though I have found too that the fee is a a pain and the exchange rates less than competitive. If a buyer wants to pay by PayPal I usually ask that they cover the fee - although, of course, it's all part of the negotiation. I must admit I prefer a bank transfer but I can understand buyers being a bit wary.
On shipping, I usually wait until the money has either arrived in my bank or until PayPal notify me that payment has been made.
For non-WP sales, I'm much more wary. I've been on the receiving end of a couple of serious scam attempts after advertising sales on Underwater Photography magazine (UWP). Not the fault of the publication at all.