Hi there. I hope this is ok to ask for some advice. I've had my canon s120 and an inon strobe for a number of years now. I'd call myself a mid level photographer? (Not a complete beginner, but not an expert either.) It's ok, but lacking in a few areas. Although you can get nice photos from it, it seems to have a lot of issues with focus, over exposure and dull colours when used underwater. (I often take photos on breath hold diving so it's not always possible to carefully manually balance everything same as on scuba and some stuff needs to be used on auto where possible. I use RAW but there's a limit to how much photos can be fixed especially if areas are horribly over exposed.) Battery life isn't fantastic, but if I keep it turned off most of the dive you can work around it. Video is very, very ordinary. (My Gopro 3+ blows it out of the water for video when I decided to do a direct comparison this week. I don't usually use them together so hadn't realised just how bad the quality of the canon's video is. I mostly take photos, but it's nice to be able to take video when you see something particularly amazing, and not have it be a hazy mess too.)
Anyway, I was thinking about upgrading, but as everyone here knows, that's not a cheap task and I was hoping to do it right! I didn't want anything too large due to the freediving thing, and honestly can't really justify an SLR camera to take underwater anyway. There's so many options I've been at a loss to work out how to narrow the selection down. Can anyone recommend a better compact or possibly mirrorless that's at the mid level price range or below or recommend some pages that are good reading for this or how to go about a decision making process? (I get it's all personal preference but there's so many opinions out there.) Or unless I'm willing to upgrade to something really pricey (aka thousands of $ for the camera and case), am I better sticking with the s120. Thanks in advance