Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Like My High Hat & Feathers?

Started by pummkin ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Like My High Hat & Feathers?

9 posts
  1. Like My High Hat & Feathers?

    It's such a treat to be greeted by this when I was navigating across a patch of sand in search of reef. Ceratosoma?

  2. Pummkin.... it sounds like you have some residual N. Narcosis ! ( Hat and Feathers )

  3. Pummkin.... it sounds like you have some residual N. Narcosis ! ( Hat and Feathers ) :)

  4. Pummkin....  it sounds like you have some residual N. Narcosis ! ( Hat and Feathers )  :D

     

    Hahahahaha! At least I thought that's what they looked like although the more proper term would be mantle & gills...! In this case I'm always narked as I try to photograph things while thinking about what they resemble...! Hahaha! It got your attention.... :wink: !

     

    Can somebody tell me what's the name of this high class dame??? :)

  5. Ceratpsoma tenue - the extra pair of lateral extensions show really nicely on this beast. Nice photo!

    Leslie

  6. Leslie, it is such a joy to have your expertise on these kinds of things.

     

    Glad you are here!

     

    Any good uw critter displays at the NHM?

     

    Don

  7. Thanks, Don. Nice of you not to mention the incorrect spelling. It should be Ceratosoma tenue....my cat was on my lap & it's hard to type around her. There are a number of wetpixelians who have impressive knowledge about inverts - Alex, James, Marli, Art, DaveH, etc., and they know a lot more about the living critters. I just know stuff from books.

     

    Unfortunately our marine hall dates back to about 1976 with just a few small updates after that. It''s dominated by local habitat dioramas & fish. On the other hand, you're welcome to come down for a behind-the scenes tour if you're interested.

     

    Cheers, Leslie

  8. very interesting gill colouration, they appear to be pale green which I haven't seen on this species before. Normally they are are red/purple/pink in colour - were you using a strobe?

     

    Here's some other images of Ceratosoma tenue and info on the species:

     

    http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/...oma_tenue).html

     

    cheers.

  9. Wow, beautiful variants!

     

    No, no strobes used as the one fired by the built-in only illuminated half of it so I reverted to white balancing. I tend to find the weirdest creatures like there was a small crab on a sea whip which I was trying to shoot in every possible angle & position but it would just run up & down, round & round the whip. Finally, it gave up, jumped off the whip & started to 'spar' at me with both its' claws up in the air!!!! Think Finding Nemo's last part where the crabs were sparring with each other above the drain pipes under the sea!!!!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.