Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam housing service

Started by Humu797 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam housing service

13 posts
  1. I just got a quote for servicing a Nauticam housing for the Olympus E-M1 mk2 from Backscatter and its $600, half of it for labor. I’ve had other housings serviced and I don’t recall the price being that high. Have I just been shooting on the cheap or what? 

  2. If half of it was labour what was the other half?

    Where any parts other than o-rings replaced?

     

    People put crap on Ikleite housing's but at least I can service a housing my self for around $75 AUD

  3. Yeah, that does seem a  lot.

    $300 for labour I can sort of understand - although that seems a lot too.  But where is the other $300 going? As Chris suggests, are you having other parts replaced? A faulty bulkhead maybe? Maybe ask for a breakdown of the replacement parts?

  4. It's about 30 o-rings, springs and c-clips to do all your buttons and other controls. I would think the labor should be higher than the parts as there is so much disassembly work to get to many controls.  They may replace a bunch of other parts inside like some of the levers and return springs as a matter of course due to damage during disassembly perhaps.  Won't hurt to ask. 

  5. The servicing kit is $300 and the labor is $300. It’s apparently just the usual service: remove all the bits, clean, lube, adjust. It was under $200 if memory serves for the several housings I had serviced. What’s everyone else paying these days? This is from Backscatter in Monterrey. 

    Edited by Humu797 — Misspelled word
  6. That seems a lot. Most of Nauticam Housing Rebuild Kits are $180 or so. $300 of labor also seems a lot. I think a housing rebuild is like 5 hours so they are billing at $60/hr. I would check with Reef and see what they are charging.

    Bill

  7. UW Camera Store in The Netherlands charges 449 Euro for "system camera" overhaul and 499 for an SLR.  I'm not sure which the EM-1 mkII would fall under, but 499 euro is $US564 and I would think labour rates are higher in Europe than the US.  Overhaul includes a pressure test and prices are published on their website.

      So $600 seems a little steep.  The price for an Ikelite SLR housing overhaul is 299 euro or 338 USD.  So a Nauticam housing is more expensive to overhaul.   The prices are all published on their website.

  8. Reef Photo says $590 is the price for servicing the Nauticam NA EM1 mark2. Bummer. 

  9. Almost, this is the price of half a new underwater housing. What's the price for servicing of housing Isotta EM1 Mark2?

  10. 33 minutes ago, turandot said:

    Almost, this is the price of half a new underwater housing. What's the price for servicing of housing Isotta EM1 Mark2?

    Yeah, the thought struck me too that this was a substantial chunk of the cost of a new one. Ouch.

  11. It is easy to service and change all o-rings of your whatever underwater housing. I have already serviced 4 Subal housings and the last one was for Nikon D90, serviced in 2019. The service kit was 97 euros, which I bought from Subal. 

    It is worth the effort, so do not hesitate to give it a go.

     

  12. With the invention of vacuum systems DIY service has never been easier 

  13. 7 hours ago, scuba_d said:

    It is easy to service and change all o-rings of your whatever underwater housing. I have already serviced 4 Subal housings and the last one was for Nikon D90, serviced in 2019. The service kit was 97 euros, which I bought from Subal. 

    It is worth the effort, so do not hesitate to give it a go.

     

    I think I’ll do it myself next time. This go-round was certainly an eye-opener. 

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.