Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What Sea and Sea port do I need for the Canon 100mm macro on a Sony A7rii

Started by scbadude ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

What Sea and Sea port do I need for the Canon 100mm macro on a Sony A7rii

5 posts
  1. I thinking of getting the Canon 100mm macro lens over the Sony 90mm but I'm not sure what sea and sea port I would need. I would also like to do manual focus so is there a zoom gear and ring that will work with my setup? I cant find any info on the sea and sea port charts. I also want to get the canon 8-15 wide angle lens. I'm currently using the Sony 28mm with the wide angle conversion lens but I find that the images don't seem as sharp as I would expect from a 42 mp camera. Is there any one that has used both the wide angle setups and if so is the canon lens sharper? Any advice is welcomed thank you!

  2. I don't know much about S&S ports system, however reference to the Nauticam port charts shows they have an option to use any Canon lens with a Metabones adapter by using a 35.5mm N100-N120 adapter.  This shows that adding a 35.5mm extension to the Sony Sea & Sea ports will allow you to use Canon lenses - with ports selected from the Canon port charts.

    What this means is that your housing with the 35.5mm extension and the metabones adapter installed is effectively the same as a Canon DSLR/Housing to which you attach a Canon lens and the selected port from the Canon S&S port charts.

    That's the port taken care of.  In the Nauticam system the adapter/extension is equipped with a zoom knob so you can use the Canon Zoom/focus gears.  For S&S I suspect you would need a custom printed gear that was longer by the length of the extension you are using.

    It does not appear that S&S have a 35.5mm extension so you would probably need to compromise and use a 40mm extension.  So your focus or zoom gear would need to be 40mm longer than standard and custom printed or you might be able to print an adapter to allow you use the canon focus/zoom rings.

    The Canon fisheye is used by a few people on Sony and is judged to be excellent image quality - I recall a few posts on here recently talking about this.  Equally the 28mm plus fisheye adapter is jusdged to mediocre image quality.

     

  3. 17 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I don't know much about S&S ports system, however reference to the Nauticam port charts shows they have an option to use any Canon lens with a Metabones adapter by using a 35.5mm N100-N120 adapter.  This shows that adding a 35.5mm extension to the Sony Sea & Sea ports will allow you to use Canon lenses - with ports selected from the Canon port charts.

    What this means is that your housing with the 35.5mm extension and the metabones adapter installed is effectively the same as a Canon DSLR/Housing to which you attach a Canon lens and the selected port from the Canon S&S port charts.

    That's the port taken care of.  In the Nauticam system the adapter/extension is equipped with a zoom knob so you can use the Canon Zoom/focus gears.  For S&S I suspect you would need a custom printed gear that was longer by the length of the extension you are using.

    It does not appear that S&S have a 35.5mm extension so you would probably need to compromise and use a 40mm extension.  So your focus or zoom gear would need to be 40mm longer than standard and custom printed or you might be able to print an adapter to allow you use the canon focus/zoom rings.

    The Canon fisheye is used by a few people on Sony and is judged to be excellent image quality - I recall a few posts on here recently talking about this.  Equally the 28mm plus fisheye adapter is jusdged to mediocre image quality.

     

    Thanks for taking the time to reply Chris, that's definitely helpful information. 

  4. On 7/14/2020 at 6:39 AM, scbadude said:

    I thinking of getting the Canon 100mm macro lens over the Sony 90mm but I'm not sure what sea and sea port I would need. I would also like to do manual focus so is there a zoom gear and ring that will work with my setup? I cant find any info on the sea and sea port charts. I also want to get the canon 8-15 wide angle lens. I'm currently using the Sony 28mm with the wide angle conversion lens but I find that the images don't seem as sharp as I would expect from a 42 mp camera. Is there any one that has used both the wide angle setups and if so is the canon lens sharper? Any advice is welcomed thank you!

    I cannot tell how the Canon 100mm IS macro performs on the Sony, but I use both Canon 100mm IS Macro and 8-15mm fisheye adapted via Metabones on Oly Em1II. While the AF of the 8-15mm works flawless on Em1II, the 100mm Macro is hunting and slow (compared to the native Zuiko 60mm Macro). I did not even take the 100mm macro with me to Lastovo, where I currently am.

    Considering that reports say that the AF of the ARII is not yet very good, it may be that the adapted Canon 100mm performs poor on this body. I saw even reports here in Wetpixel that the native Sony 90mm Macro has slow AF itself on Sony bodies...

     

    Wolfgang

  5. 15 hours ago, Architeuthis said:

    I cannot tell how the Canon 100mm IS macro performs on the Sony, but I use both Canon 100mm IS Macro and 8-15mm fisheye adapted via Metabones on Oly Em1II. While the AF of the 8-15mm works flawless on Em1II, the 100mm Macro is hunting and slow (compared to the native Zuiko 60mm Macro). I did not even take the 100mm macro with me to Lastovo, where I currently am.

    Considering that reports say that the AF of the ARII is not yet very good, it may be that the adapted Canon 100mm performs poor on this body. I saw even reports here in Wetpixel that the native Sony 90mm Macro has slow AF itself on Sony bodies...

     

    Wolfgang

    Yeah I think as far as focusing I might just lock focus in on land to one spot and underwater I'll just move the camera physically back and forth until I achieve some sort of focus. I'll use the focus peaking and see if I can get some shots. If that doesn't work then I'll probably try what Chris was saying about getting a gear 3D printed so I can use manual focusing. 

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.