Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Help! Need Identification...

Started by cmm1970 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Help! Need Identification...

11 posts
  1. Help! Need Identification...

    Can you all help me out on what this little guy is?

  2. A little back ground info may help

    The fish is about 2" in length and I took its picture while in Bonaire.

  3. Peppermint goby. Coryphopterus lipernes. 2 inches sounds like a massive one. Usually max of an inch.

  4. What Is This?

    Does anyone know what this is???? It was wrapped around a sea whip & seemed to have devoured that part away. I am not sure if it's an anemone or not but it had all those tentacles.....

  5. Here's another view & it's so, so weird.....

  6. And yet another on another whip some other trip.....

     

    ?????? :?:

  7. Hi --

     

    It's appears to be a Nemanthus anemone with all but a few white tentacles withdrawn into its mouth. Both the Gosliner, Behrens & Williams and Colin & Arneson guidebooks have pictures of Nemanthus annamensis. This has white, cream, orange, or red markings. On the web you'll find some information at

    http://www.edge-of-reef.com/anemoni/ESANem...nnamensisen.htm

    The edge-of-reef site says the color markings are brown. Your black-patterned critter might be undescribed or just a color variant. All sources say that it's unknown whether the anemone settles on dead gorgonians or if it settles on & kills live ones.

    Cheers, Leslie

  8. Thank you, Leslie! Now that I know what a precious resource this website is, I won't hesitate to take more pictures of the weird & indescribable critters that I encounter & post them here. At last, I'm not telling tall stories...!

  9. hey pummkin! glad you're enjoying wetpixel. :D

     

    in the future, can you add a short description to the subject line of your critter id posts? it helps keep things organized a bit.

     

    thanks,

    eric

  10. UFO - Unidentifiable Floating/Finning Object

    Yikes! I don't even know what it is hence, no Subject nor ID.....!?!?!?!!?! Ok, I promise I'll be good & think of a nice word to classify all these strange & weird stuff that I find & make sure they catch your attention!!!! But this is not my thread.... :-( I'm just riding on someone else's identity crisis..... :-)

  11. oops! sorry -- you're right. I meant to direct at cmm1970. :D

     

    any description helps, even something like, "funny small fish on coral"...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.