Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 105mm macro lens switches tripped when inserted into housing

Started by scuba-tim ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 105mm macro lens switches tripped when inserted into housing

7 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I finally got my D7100 underwater after finding an ikelite housing at a steal. On this morning's dive, I couldn't figure out why I was having so much trouble focusing the 105mm lens near its 1ft minimum, and had to pull back to its 0.5m switch setting to focus. When I removed the camera from the housing, I found that sure enough, the lens focusing length switch had been tripped as the lens entered the housing port - it's a tight fit into the ikelite modular port body.

    Aside from taping the switches in place, any creative suggestions for keeping them all forward as the lens enters the port?

    Thanks in advance!

    IMG_4132.JPG

  2. Tape them in place - that's what we all do!

  3. Damn, I have done that SO many times! As Alex says, tape it!

  4. I've had the same strip of black electrical tape on my 105 for at least 10 years!

  5. Thanks all, electrical tape is what I figured would solve it!

  6. Don't use electrical tape, it will leave a nasty residue.

    Use cloth tape or an adhesive residue free tape, it is much better. 

    Edited by Chris Kippax
  7. Electrical tape works great, sticks well and removes easily.  Beside, you likely won't ever need to remove it!

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.