Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 85 mm macro lens.

Started by Kraken de Mabini ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 85 mm macro lens.

5 posts
  1. Two Nikkor macro lenses seem to be quite popular for uw use, the 60 and the 105 mm.  There is also the 85 mm macro lens, but I have not seen uw photos taken with it nor read about its uw use. My questions are:
      What do those Wetpixelers who have used this lens think of it?
      Could the macro 85 mm replace both the macro 60 and 105 mm lenses?
     
    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  2. No, if one is using full frame as the 85mm Micro Nikkor is a DX lens.

     

  3. I started shooting with the 105 in a DX body and got used to it, to add magnification I use the inon UCL-165. I tried the nauticam SMC1, but it was very hard for me (this is of course an user issue).

    Then I tried the the 60mm but didn't like it. I never managed to get a super macro shot. I'm shure it is grat for fish portrait.

    A few weeks ago I read a post by Reef Photo about the 85mm and decided to get a used one. I have been using it for the last month and I'm very happy with it. The SMC1 works very well with it. The last 3 pictures on my IG are with that lens (Only the nudibranch was taken with the SMC1). josiluna_uw

    For a DX body, I would recomend the 85mm instead the 105 and 60. Focus on the 85mm is fast and accurate.

    Joss

  4. I've been using the 105 with DX bodies (D7200 then D7500) and I've been very happy with it.

    Focusing works very well, even with a macro diopter lens. The only issue that I had shooting super macro with it are user related: at this magnification level, finding the subject and keeping it in sight in rough sea is a bit challenging. But once the subject correctly in sight, focus is fast and accurate. 

    I find few drawback to use the 105 over the 85 mm, and there are some significant benefits: additional magnification, compatibility with full frame if I decide to move to full frame.

  5. Like Joss and Algwyn, I use the 105mm on a DX body (a D500) and am used to it and like it. I hadn't thought of the 85mm so an interesting thought. I don't now have a 60mm although I used to have for the D300 but it got a really bad fungal attack! I have no plans to get a new 60mm. The 105 is enough.

    The 105 is a superb lens and the reviews I've seen of the 85mm DX haven't been great (see Ken Rockwell's review). But I have no personal experience of it.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.