Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

I found the best camera for underwater white balance

Started by thani ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

I found the best camera for underwater white balance

6 posts
  1. My freind Sultan was playing with a little old full HD camera that offers progressive 60 fps. This amazing camera can perfectly white balances at 100 feet depth in ambient light without red filter. where we live, Dubai UAE, the water visibility is bad because of the thermocline  and the large amount of particles in the water. I can easily say our 100 feet depth has much less ambient light that 150 feet in clearer waters.

    We have tried before the Sony EX1, GH5 and the GH5s but the little camera beats them all.  check it out please and let me know what do you think:

     

     

  2. My freind Sultan was playing with a little old full HD camera that offers progressive 60 fps. This amazing camera can perfectly white balances at 100 feet depth in ambient light without red filter. where we live, Dubai UAE, the water visibility is bad because of the thermocline  and the large amount of particles in the water. I can easily say our 100 feet depth has much less ambient light that 150 feet in clearer waters.

    We have tried before the Sony EX1, GH5 and the GH5s but the little camera beats them all.  check it out please and let me know what do you think:

     

     


    I have had the Sanyo Xacti myself and I can confirm it almost always white balanced but then the footage quality drops a lot in the dark and with highlights it clips like hell
    There are several 2010-2011 videos on my YouTube channel made with that camera


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. 9 hours ago, Interceptor121 said:


    I have had the Sanyo Xacti myself and I can confirm it almost always white balanced but then the footage quality drops a lot in the dark and with highlights it clips like hell
    There are several 2010-2011 videos on my YouTube channel made with that camera


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Definitely low light performance with its tiny 1/2.5” sensor is bad. Even GH5 is bad as well. But still it has the best white balance i’ve ever seen in. y opinion. 

  4. 16 hours ago, thani said:

    Definitely low light performance with its tiny 1/2.5” sensor is bad. Even GH5 is bad as well. But still it has the best white balance i’ve ever seen in. y opinion. 

    I had the xacti for two years it would not error but when I moved to the Sony RX100 it was an upgrade in all respect even using a filter at 26 meters. Olympus camera white balance to 14000K and so does Zcam. I think you should look into the Zcam because you have a Gh5s and a monitor. The housing is smaller and would work very well with you

    Plus it shoots prores RAW so really consider the zcam instead of the GH5s

  5. Really impressive! WOW! Goes to show, you don't always need the latest / greatest.

  6. On 7/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, Interceptor121 said:

    I had the xacti for two years it would not error but when I moved to the Sony RX100 it was an upgrade in all respect even using a filter at 26 meters. Olympus camera white balance to 14000K and so does Zcam. I think you should look into the Zcam because you have a Gh5s and a monitor. The housing is smaller and would work very well with you

    Plus it shoots prores RAW so really consider the zcam instead of the GH5s

    Zcam a good cam but to get ProRes RAW you need an Atomos external recorder. Besides I use Davinci Resolve and do not have time to learn another editing system that support ProRes RAW. 

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.