Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Need advice - Elements 3 or PhotoShop CS??

Started by iainwilliams ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Need advice - Elements 3 or PhotoShop CS??

4 posts
  1. Need advice - Elements 3 or PhotoShop CS??

    Title says it all!

     

    I have a Canon G5 and shoot in RAW.

     

    Which is the better programme for me - Elements 3 or PhotoShop CS?

     

    It seems that neither do exactly the same. I've heard that the RAW converter in Elements 3 is not the best and CS has the better converter - but then Elements has some pretty cool functions.

     

    Does anyone have experience in both programmes - perhaps you could be nice enough to provide me with some advice?

     

    Many thanks.....Iain

  2. Elements 3.0 has not shipped yet. But here is what I know.

     

    The new 3.0 version of Photoshop Elements for Windows and Mac will have almost the same functionality as that of Photoshop CS. In fact, it has everything in it that I have used to date with the exception of control over color space which may not be a problem for me or most folks as I can convert to sRGB latter if needed. Click below for a detailed comparison of the two RAW converters by Chad Rolfs.

     

    http://www.splashdowndivers.com/archives/C.../CRs_PSEvCS.pdf

     

    Also Photoshop costs $649 form Adobe whereas Elements is on sale at Amazon for $50.00 after rebates.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ronics&n=507846

     

    Bottom line: If you have neither, get Elements.

  3. Bottom line: If you have neither, get Elements.

     

    and if you have Photoshop 6 or 7, get the upgrade to CS.

     

    That said, keep in mind that CS is about 18 months old I think, and Adobe is famous for releasing new versions in about that time frame. So there may be a newer version of Photoshop right around the corner as well!

  4. Thanks Richard. I think I'll opt for Elements 3 when it's released, especially if the RAW capability is about the same with CS. Take care and SAFE diving...Iain

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.