Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Z series lens roadmap

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Z series lens roadmap

8 posts
  1. Nikon has released a series of graphics detailing their planned lens release road map for the Z series mirrorless cameras:

     

    Nikon-Nikkor-Z-lens-roadmap-July-20201.jpg

    Nikon-Nikkor-Z-lens-lineup.png

    Nikon-Nikkor-Z-lens-roadmap-July-2020.jpg

    Of note is the addition of both 60 and 105mm Macro lenses. Still no native fisheye option however...

  2. Thanks Adam

    Wow, quite a line-up and quite a rapid development in the Z lens series. 

    Edited by TimG
  3. Fisheye lenses seem to be at the very bottom of all the new mirrorless FF lens maker's priority lists. At AF is not an issue with them even on adapters.

  4. They are hoping to make money on lenses instead of bodies


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. I have not tried my 8-15 on my Z6 yet but I suspect the AF works fairly well as the AF in the 300PF does. These two lenses are of the E type which is the latest version of the F mount. So the main improvements from a Z mount fisheye lens might include a smaller size (smaller than the 8-15 plus FTZ) and better optical performance (maybe less of a blue circle at 8mm?).

    I was ready to get the new 24-200 for travel but initial reports suggest it is not much of a performer on full frame so rather disappointed. The 24-70 kit lens (an S type) is quite good so left it on the camera (with a polarizer) on my last Hawaii diving trip for topside pix (last year :-<<<, sadly will not be able to go in 2020). The planned shorter focal length macro is not listed as an S lens so I fear it might be as poor a performer as the new 24-200 which is not an S lens. I fear the non-S lenses will be substandard. Really too bad, IMHO.

     

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  6. Hey Tom

    I've used the Nikkor 8-15 on my Z6 shooting interiors of Gothic churches - well makes a change, right? Not used the combination underwater though.

    It works really well - through the FTZ of course. Fast focus no problem.

  7. 54 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Hey Tom

    I've used the Nikkor 8-15 on my Z6 shooting interiors of Gothic churches - well makes a change, right? Not used the combination underwater though.

    It works really well - through the FTZ of course. Fast focus no problem.

    The Canon 8-15 has been my "go-to" lens for salmon since it came out; have two copies of it so I can deploy two cameras with the same lens model. One is now dedicated to the last Canon APSH camera, the 1D4, with a mini dome for extreme shallow water shots. I have missed a number of salmon spawning opportunities in the past because the redd (salmon nest) was too shallow. With the Nikkor joining the other two I can deploy three with the same focal length range! Already had the 10.5 and 16mm Nikkors when I got the 8-15.  The 10.5 was my most used lens when I was shooting APSC (D2X). I am most curious how the Nikkor will work at 8mm for Aurora shots since it is a hair faster at f/3.5. Been waiting form the right Aurora...

  8. Nikon has updated their lens roadmap;

    Article at DPReview

    Good news/ Bad news as far as I can tell.

    More lenses, but the macro option just went from 60mm to 50mm. So that likely means no-go on using it with a Nauticam WML,,,

    And no native fisheyes either.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.