Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Optical port plugs

Started by sunnyboy010101 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Optical port plugs

5 posts
  1. For the housings that take the approx 1/4in optical plug-in cables, what do people use for port plugs to block the extra port, assuming you have lost the ones that came with the housing? (i.e. sea & sea plug I believe it is)

  2. I lost mine very quickly and never replaced them, but I always use two strobes,  I expect you could find a rubber grommet that fits at any auto parts store though you might need to remove the little plate to fit it properly.

  3. Like most housings, my Subal has two fibre optic bulkheads. Although I use two strobes, quite often (for no particular reason) I plug both fibre optic cables into one bulkhead through a plug that has two holes for the cables. The other bulkhead is bare - ie there is no plug in it. I've never seen that makes any difference.

  4. There is no need to plug these bulkheads, but if you really want to, you can buy from Amazon a small bag of

    "Uxcell 20pcs 27mmx7mmx4mm Micro Strain Relief Cord Boot Protectors."
    You can cut them to  length with a razor blade.

    They are also used to make fiber optic cables from 3 mm Toslink cable. 

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  5. 1 hour ago, Kraken de Mabini said:

    There is no need to plug these bulkheads, but if you really want to, you can buy from Amazon a small bag of

    "Uxcell 20pcs 27mmx7mmx4mm Micro Strain Relief Cord Boot Protectors."
    You can cut them to  length with a razor blade.

    They are also used to make fiber optic cables from 3 mm Toslink cable. 

    Well, that certainly shows how dumb I can be...

    I have a bag of those exact Uxcell items that I bought in 2018 (with the toslink cable and o-rings) specifically to make my own optical cords. I just never did make them as I have 4 now and have not needed any new ones yet.

    -R

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.