Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Will this DS-125 Package work with e-TTL?

Started by ilusion ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Will this DS-125 Package work with e-TTL?

12 posts
  1. Will this DS-125 Package work with e-TTL?

    I've finally saved up enough cash to purchase an Ikelite setup for my Canon Digital Rebel. I'd love to get the case with eTTL support right now, but I can't seem to find anyone that has it yet. In the meantime, I figured I'd go ahead and get the DS-125 package. On the Ikelite page it mentions something about getting a DS-125 with a serial number over 2500. Am I safe getting this setup from B&H? Is this the right one for eTTL support?

    Any help before I accidentally blow $800 would be mightily appreciated.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...c#goto_itemInfo

     

    Thank in advance,

    Chris

  2. Yes, that should be the one.

  3. I'd suggest calling Ryan at Underwater Camera Pros....he can verify the number on his strobes and make sure you get the right one....he can get the housing also

     

    Karl

  4. DS-125 with serial number greater than 5,000 is what you want for eTTL. We are still waiting for the revised printed circuit boards to arrive. We will be assembling by end of month, but won't have all orders filled as the following URL claimed:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ettldelay.html

  5. Thank You All For Your Replies

    I went ahead and purchased the DS-125 package yesterday after reading the first reply to my message. Also called Ryan at the store that was recommended but the message on the answering machine said nobody would be in until next week. I'll see about getting the case from Ryan.

    Ike, you said that I need to look for a strobe with a serial number above 5000. Obviously, you have no way of knowing for certain, but do you think it is likely that the strobe I ordered yesterday off the B & H site falls into that category? If worse comes to worse and they send me an old one and won't let me return it can I get the strobe upgraded to work with eTTL? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was possible to upgrade those strobes (I assume when you were talking about the new circuit boards it was in reference to the Rebel housing).

    I'm very excited because I'm taking a trip to Moorea in mid December with my wife and I hope that I can have the whole kit assembled by then (Ideally with a few practice dives to learn in between).

  6. Our strobes have been in such short supply all year that it is unlikely any dealer would have old inventory. We have been three week minimum on orders. Let us know if update is required.

  7. Thank You

    You know, I feel so much more comfortable buying this gear with the knowledge that the company that makes it is not just a nameless entity mass producing the goods. So Ike, thank you for taking the time to answer these posts. It really shows that you and your company really get the whole customer service thing. Of course, if in the future anyone asks me for reccomendations on this type of gear I'll definitely be steering them in your direction.

  8. Ike, I bought a rig for 300D from Max in Byron Bay earlier this year.

    Seems like the DS 125 has the SN 3387 ( old inventory maybe ) . Does this mean that I have to get a completely new strobe if I convert to TTL and BTW what does the conversion cost.

    Sorry to disturb, you I realize you are a busy man, but it was a good moment

  9. OK thanks

    so 50 dollars update for strobe but whatabout

    for the housing, Thanks

  10. We have been concentrating on housing assembly and have not established update prices. I assume housing update will be at least the $200 difference between the two housing prices.

  11. Actually what will happen if I don't upgrade the DS-125 and DS-50 circuit to operate with eTTL?? Ike's web page said the older version of the substrobe can perform well with the eTTL but optium performance with the new circuit...

    I'm considering to have my substrobe upgraded but can not figure out if it worth me to pay the extra bucks(the upgrade don't cost much but the shipment is a heartache!)?? :roll:

    BTW will the eTTL2 also perform well with the old substrobe??

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.