Hey all,
I have an Ikelite 200DL with their vacuum system, and I've really liked it so far. That said, one thing irks me about setup. They recommend that you do a test in a dunk tank without the camera housing to check for leaks, then take the back door off again to put the camera in, before doing another test with the camera in it. My problem is that after the no-camera dunk test I always end up with a wet main o-ring and have to completely redo the rear seal. It feels like I'm just introducing more risk this way vs if I just did a careful, dry, initial setup with the camera installed, then pulled a vacuum and checked it the next morning. I always give the housing overnight to detect any loss of the internal vacuum.
So, if you are using a vacuum system and leaving the housing overnight, do you really need to do that extra dunk with an empty housing? What is your setup routine with your vacuum system?
Thanks,
Austin