Having endured here in the Philippines the longest and strictest lockdown in the world, this has been my mood for longer than I thought I could endure:

So when the restrictions on travel between provinces was lifted, my wife and I drove out of Manila to Anilao for a long weekend with a feeling of being able to breathe again, although we did feel sort of uncertain and tentative and cautious, a little like this porcelain crab:

We only got in a couple of dives thanks to unfavorable weather, but just being back in the water at familiar sites felt like visiting some old friends.


My technique was certainly rusty so none of the pictures I took over the weekend will make it into my top 100, but they will remain among my most favorite for what they represented for us, a lifting of a very long gloomy period. We're a long way from an exit, but are so grateful to be so fortunate to be able to drive to such a special place until the new normal becomes clear. Even the heavens seemed to agree with us on Saturday night.

I hope things start to get better for all of us sooner rather than later!