Thanks for the replies, guys.
23 hours ago, nudibranco said:
I also would love to move to a more compact system from a 16mpx olympus em5 i used for 8 years. But i used the tg series starting with the tg3 and my biggest grief is the lack of manual control.
I hear the tg6 has got better controls over shutter by going to Aperture mode and setting some limits in Shutter speed and Iso. Frankly i tried using strobos with little accomplishment. With a strong torch I fared better. In any case going wide is almost unusable and I find quality even on macro is not enough.
I would love an iteration that has manual control but it never comes. Certainly the Tg6 on the right hands cand do wonders no other outfit can thanks to its small size and super macro option.
I do not think you would be happy with it.
Andrea
Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Yes I'm trying to move from my EM5ii. The bulk is manageable and slapping a TG on a tray with dual lights won't be all that much smaller anyways. I'm really happy with my new EM1ii on land but I can't stomach the cost of dragging it into the ocean when a TG system is ~$700.
Man, lack of manual control was what I was afraid of. Thanks for reinforcing that. I guess next dive I'll ask my partner if I can fiddle with his tg5 a bit. It's too bad they don't have shutter priority; I tend to use that more than aperture priority.
19 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:
you can get some nice macro pics and passable wide pics with the TG6, as Andrea said there is no manual control, though you can do manual flash. There are only two apertures for the TG-6 f2/2.8 at the wide end and 4.9/6.3 at the tele end. f8/18 is achieved with an ND filter. This can be a bit limiting trying to keep shutter speed in a reasonable range.
I assume you are also planning on getting a housing - I would regard the TG series as disposable without a housing, the seals behind the buttons eventually fail. The manual in the fine print recommends replacing the seals annually.
You don't say what the issues you have with your current setup are - there may be other solutions available to give more flexibility such as wet lenses on your current setup.
So if I'm understanding correctly, the tg aperture is always wide open? I think this should be fine as my m43 setup is usually around 1/125" at ISO 200 and f/2.8 on the 12-40mm or 60mm; yes I generally shoot wide open.
Yes I plan on getting the oly TG housing. The TGs are rated for depth but I really only consider that as flood protection.
My issues with my EM5ii setup are being committed to a focal length before I get in the water as I would have to change ports and don't have zoom rings. I don't think there are wet diopters for Meikon housings.
Other issues are that I now shoot with an EM1ii on land and can't afford $2k+ to get the Oly/AOI or Nauticam setups for it, especially since I don't dive weekly like I used to. Used is cheaper but not by a whole lot. These setups would give me zoom ring capability which would be really nice, though. I'm really happy with my new EM1ii on land but I can't stomach the cost of dragging it into the ocean when a TG system is ~$700.