Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

opinion needed , Mirrorless battery life ?

Started by EFLT ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

opinion needed , Mirrorless battery life ?

4 posts
  1. hello all !

    As I am eyeing the new eos r5/r6 , I have been thinking about making the jump to mirrorless, I have been using a bulky DSLR for years and I would love all the newest canon AF feature on their mirrorless line-up. 

     

    My biggest concern is Battery life, as on their website, they say the battery life is normally only 300-350 shots, It would be great if you can share your underwater mirrorless experience, once thing I do love about DSLR is that one battery can go entire days of shooting without have to open the case up on a rocking boat in the middle of the ocean, so how have your mid day dive boat  battery swap experience been ? 

     

    Much appreciated

  2. This is about the shot capacity of most small mirrorless cameras and compacts.  Small bodies = small batteries.  Of course the R5 battery is the same form factor as the 5DIV which gets 900 shots per charge.  I find with my m43 Olympus I can get 3 dives out of the camera. 

    The R5 can recharge via USB so I see a market for USB bulkhead so you can plug in the battery to recharge it in the housing?

  3. 12 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    This is about the shot capacity of most small mirrorless cameras and compacts.  Small bodies = small batteries.  Of course the R5 battery is the same form factor as the 5DIV which gets 900 shots per charge.  I find with my m43 Olympus I can get 3 dives out of the camera. 

    The R5 can recharge via USB so I see a market for USB bulkhead so you can plug in the battery to recharge it in the housing?

    I have the Olympus OMD and Sony A9. The above is true for both. Sony a tad more, but USB charging is a snap.

  4. On 9/21/2020 at 1:19 AM, EFLT said:

    hello all !

    As I am eyeing the new eos r5/r6 , I have been thinking about making the jump to mirrorless, I have been using a bulky DSLR for years and I would love all the newest canon AF feature on their mirrorless line-up. 

     

    My biggest concern is Battery life, as on their website, they say the battery life is normally only 300-350 shots, It would be great if you can share your underwater mirrorless experience, once thing I do love about DSLR is that one battery can go entire days of shooting without have to open the case up on a rocking boat in the middle of the ocean, so how have your mid day dive boat  battery swap experience been ? 

     

    Much appreciated

    That's correct because the EVF or the LCD are continuously powered. In fact the EVF that have higher frame rate and resolutions usually decrease the battery life compared to the LCD

    If it goes entire days it depends on how much you shoot really. 350 shots for me is around 3 dives with a set of 3 batteries and vacuum systems this is not an issue

    It becomes an issue if you go on a rubber boat on a double tank and you can't open the housing but no decent camera will get you only 1 dive

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.