Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Blob of stuff on my CCD... Nikon D100

Started by Cp ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Blob of stuff on my CCD... Nikon D100

6 posts
  1. Blob of stuff on my CCD... Nikon D100

    This happened today on a dive trip. I managed to fix it, so am posting it as a tip in case anyone else can use it in the future.

     

    After today's dive's I noticed a "blob" on each of my photos. The blob was in the same place on every shot.

     

    To fix the photos I'd already taken, I used Photoshop, of course, First I selected the blob using the magic wand a couple of times, holding the shift key to add to the selection each time. I enlarged the selection using Select->Modify->Expand, expanding it 3 pixels. I then feathered it by 3 pixels. Photoshop allows you to save selections, which turns out to be really useful in this case. I saved the selection to a new PSD. In Photoshop CS, there is a new tool called the patch tool, which is what I used to fix the problem. For each photo, then, I loaded the selection, and used the patch tool to grab the blob area and slide it over a similar area. Usually it took two or three times, but the patches came out great.

     

    Then I fixed the blob in the camera itself. I was a little leery of doing this, especially with 3 days to go on the trip and not wanting to be without a camera, but I really wanted it gone. I did not have the special power cord required by the D100 to lock the mirror. So, here's what I did. I set the shutter speed to 2 seconds (not my idea - thank you internet...), and took off the lens. Laying on my back, holding the camera facing down, I fired the shutter, and was able to see the piece of fuzz laying on the CCD. I set the shutter for 4 seconds, and this time shot a little air at the blob using a lens cleaning brush. The fuzz came off the CCD and fell out of the camera. Yee haw, I am a happy camper.

     

    Below is a photo showing the "blob", near the top of the photo.

     

    Cp

     

    example1.jpg

  2. In case you have not seen this, or need future cleanings, this link is the best source I have found for CCD cleaning tips and tricks. I don't take my camera anywhere without my cleaning kit!

     

    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

  3. That's a huge blob. You can set the camera to bulb and hold the shutter open indefinitely.

     

    I used compressed air from a tank once to clean mine. I was desparate but it did a pretty good job with no ill effects. Now I always travel with sensor cleaning supplies and end up doing someone's camera on every trip.

  4. Richorn: Thanks, I'll check that out. My D100 is probably due for a cleaning.

     

    Craig: I thought about setting it to bulb, but just wanted to make sure that if anything went wrong, at least the shutter/mirror would close. Probably not a real big concern. Yes, it was a sizable blob, at least compared to the size of the CCD. I have no idea how it got in there. I am usually very careful when I change lenses.

     

    Cp

  5. Has anyone found it necessary to clean the CCD once a week? I cleaned my sensor a week ago, shot some test shots and the image was clean. A week later, I shot a wedding and had to clean just about every image in PS. Just curious if any of you find that the sensor and/or lens gets that dirty that fast. I also cleaned all of my lenses (both ends). Though it was a little fast for the CCD to get filthy again in a week.

     

    Joe

  6. Yes, I find it to be almost a weekly event, if I bother checking.

     

    I think many miss it, because you need a very smooth background to see the imperfections.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.